Thursday, August 18, 2011

Querying and Flashbacks to High School

That's right, ladies and gents, I'm officially querying again.

*gulp*

When I hit "send" my heart was pounding like I was back to age 16 and asking a boy to a girl's choice dance. (And, for the record, I got turned down. So yeah, not a good heart pounding thing going.)

So not only am I catapulted back into high school - and not the best parts - I now must battle the compulsion to check my email every 5 minutes. Even though it's been only hours since I sent out my first few queries. It also means I suffer from bouts of temporary insanity where I actually think things like, "It's been almost six hours. They must hate my query, or my sample pages, or both. Because if they liked it I would have gotten a reply by now, right? RIGHT???"

I need to go pick weeds or clean something. Or.. or... or maybe work on something else. Yeah! That's it! I can channel this new neurosis. Get in touch with my teen self, even though I've worked oh, 15 years, to leave the teen me behind. The one whose first Homecoming date was forced by his dad to go...

STOP! Don't think like that! You are a capable, confident writer. And your book is good, gosh darnit! Just breathe... it's okay... you're not 16 again.


Thank goodness.


*breathing deep*


Sorry about that, everyone. I'm better now. Excuse me while I check email again. It's been 7 whole minutes...






3 comments:

Stephanie Black said...

That's the problem with email. In the old days, you could schedule your stress for once a day--when the mail arrived. Now, even if you checked your email fifteen seconds ago, SOMETHING NEW MIGHT HAVE COME. So better check again . . .

Aargh! Good luck, Jaime!

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, exactly. Welcome to my summer. :) Wishing you tons of success!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Go Jaime! But really, step back from the computer, turn on some music and dance. You need to celebrate that you've sent it off and enjoy the moment.
Okay, check email again. I know it's killing you. :)

Kathi