Wednesday, May 25, 2011

10 Things I Learned While I Neglected My Blog

10. The Grand Canyon is really, really BIG. I know it's called the Grand Canyon for a reason, but it's mind-blowing how big it really is.

9. (Related to #10) Driving with three kidlets in a car for 12 straight hours will reveal your true character and patience right quick and in a hurry.

8. When you have kidlets tell others that their mom is *always* on the computer, then you know it's time to step back a little, since you're not raising a computer.

7. Change can be good, after all.

6. People who do what they say, when they say, and as well as they say they will, are worth their weight in gold.

5. You are not obligated to answer the phone. Especially when you're writing, because the universe will interrupt you. Oh yes, it will.

4. "Thank You" can help relieve headaches almost as well as ibuprofen. And those people who say it hold a special place in your heart.


3. Running 20 miles takes a loooong time. And it gives your hubby plenty of opportunities to remind you that signing up for the marathon (and doing 4 months of torturous training for it) was all your idea.

2. The writing community holds some of the nicest, most generous, and genuinely interesting people. That includes agents, editors, and authors. They are definitely my peeps.

1. You can get addicted to the shivery, giddy feeling inside when you are *that close* to finishing a story, and you know it's good. It's like Christmas Eve when you were a kid.


Have any of you learned anything while I was away?

5 comments:

Stephanie McGee said...

Grand Canyon, my palms get sweaty just thinking about it. Sigh. So glad you're back but it sounds like you needed the break. I should become a runner. I've heard it's better for you than just walking. But my legs hurt thinking about it.

Angie said...

Those are all great lessons. Good luck with your marathon! And yes, I love that almost-finished giddiness.

Tamara said...

What a fun post & great pictures! And I love the way you describe the feeling when you finish a story - so true!

Bob Conder said...

Explain to me why you ran 20 miles again? Unless the car is broke and on fire, the cell phone has no reception, the bad guys are closing in!

Taffy said...

Good post, Jaime! I can't believe I'm not a follower here. I thought I was loooong time ago.