Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Houston, I Have a Problem

So I've been working on my New Year's Resolutions. Yes, I realize we're over a month into the new year, but it's taken me this long to wrap up 2010. As I've been writing my really looooong list of all I want to accomplish/improve on this year, I had one of those self-epiphanies.

I'm addicted to being productive.

I like to accomplish things. I usually have a long list of things to get to. I feel fulfilled when I am productive. I work hard. I like being competent and dependable.

That doesn't sound so bad, does it? In fact, it sounds like something you'd say to your kids when they would rather play video games than clean their rooms.

But as I've thought about it, I realized that it can be one of those things that pulls me out of balance. And balance is good. Balance helps us do lots of cool things, like walk without falling over and ride a bike. Without balance we run into walls, stumble, and look like my kidlet after spinning around and around and around for 5 minutes.

When you're addicted to productivity, you don't relax very well. (At least according to my husband, who informed me I don't relax very well.) You also sometimes get busy juggling so many balls that you might neglect your blogs for a few months. You might have lists upon lists scattered throughout your house. You might neglect your writer friends' blogs for months on end. You might even start a New Year's Resolutions blog in January and not finish it until February.

Hello, my name is Jaime, a.k.a. Bookmom, and I'm an addict.

I might just need an intervention.

I can fit it in two weeks from Thursday, at 10:00, but I'll have to double check my schedule...

7 comments:

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

I'm a great list-maker...but don't usually get many items ticked off per day. I should attend your intervention -- maybe something will rub off on me! :))

Laura said...

People like you make the world go round in a much more organized fashion. Thanks for keeping the balls in the air. There are actually people out there like me who very much appreciate your efforts!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

You sound just like me! I'm a list maker and I love checking things off those lists.

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

Great post! I have the exact opposite problem. I like to relax too much. Playing on the computer, long hot baths with a good book, relaxing while watching tv etc... LOL It's work I need to work at!

Yamile said...

Like someone else said before me, the world needs people like you, but yeah, if you don't rest, you won't get much done. What a paradox!
I'm not a list writer, but I always make lists in my mind, which keeps me up until late at night. I wish I could take a hot bath or read all day. On my birthday maybe.

WindyA said...

I LOVE lists! Probably too much. I think I take up too much time making the lists, leaving not enough time to do stuff to cross things off the lists... but hey, when the first thing on your to do list is: make to do list! you automatically start off ahead, right?

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I'm with Melissa. I like to relax too much. The hardest thing is getting started on whatever I need to work at. Usually, once I get going, I can work for hours and not even think about the time (which means I skip meals or I'm late for appointments). You're right, it sure it hard to find the balance.