Monday, November 15, 2010

On the Outside of NaNo, Looking In

Happy halfway point of NaNoWriMo for those of you doing it! How are you holding up? How are the areas of your life that you're neglecting to write holding up? :)

I told you last month that I'm not doing NaNo, and I'm not. I still stick with my decision to focus on revising my current project, but as I see the NaNo camaraderie and drama (i.e. "I didn't get my wordcount in because my dog died!") on Twitter and Facebook, I'm feeling a little left out. I want to post wordcounts, or participate in a 1K in an hour sprint, or go to a NaNo writer's retreat.

*Envision Jaime outside a store, her face pressed against the display window as she gazes longingly at the inside.*

Solution: I don't have to stay at the window! I'm going to start reporting my revision progress.

I think.

Revision is tricky, because I do a lot of it longhand (so counting words would be a beast). Plus, the train wreck I'm fixing requires tossing entire chunks (we're talking entire chapters sometimes) of my rough draft. So in a day I might have tossed 10 pages and written 4 pages, which would give me a negative total.

I still want to participate in the writing frenzy, though. Now I just have to figure out how.

Keep writing all you NaNoers!

3 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I'm in the middle of nano. It's going well but I'm at a point where I'm doing what you're doing and as I go over what I've written, I'll toss some and add some and my word count doesn't change a whole lot in an hour or two, I may go up 1,000 words or so but that's it.

And HOW ON EARTH do you do it longhand??

Angie said...

I'm not doing Nano either, and haven't written this month at all, really. I have been doing some revising too. That totally counts. I'd love to hear your revision progress.

WindyA said...

I'm not doing Nano either. I like to call this noNano month for me. I've been using the energy around Nano, though, and it's really helping. I've written more this month than I have in the few weeks that preceded it. But without any of the angst if I decide to take a day off. It's been great. Report your page counts! I'm with Angie. It totally counts and there's lots of people who do NaNoRevMo instead of the WriMo. I'd bet there's a twitter hashtag you can find!