Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Made for You

I tend to go in cycles where I love a song/group of songs and listen to them over and over. (I'm ignoring the chanting of "OCD, OCD, OCD," coming from some of you.) This is my most recent song obsession. I love it because it has a great beat, awesome piano, and is very catchy, but I also love it because of what it says to me, which I'm sure is not even close to what the artist intended. But one of the great things about art is how the reader/listener/viewer makes it their own.

Here are the lyrics, interrupted by my thoughts (in red).

Made for You
by One Republic
(You can listen to it on YouTube here.)

I was writing
Thinking with my long hand
Put pen to paper
Everything was sinking
**At this point I'm hooked. I think better when I write, as the long letters I composed during rough spots in relationships throughout my life will attest. And when I hit that sweet spot and really get going in my writing, it is a lot like sinking and getting lost in the words.**
Then start to wonder
How you gonna handle me
When I'm under
Swimming in the darkest sea
**Sad as it is, my writing imaginary life bleeds over into my real life. I can be grumpy when characters won't work with me. I can be elated and on top of the world when a scene or chapter comes together in a dazzling way. So when I'm swimming in the sea of my own world, those around me have to "handle" me a bit.**

Everybody wants you to make it
Its all yours
Everybody wants you to take it
Its all yours
Everybody wants you to make it
Its all yours
Everybody wants you to T-t-t-take it
**I think the writing community is one of the most selfless, giving group of people I know. You can't turn around without tripping over dozens of authors/writers/agents/editors who sincerely want you to succeed and spend energy sharing information to help you do it. All of us book lovers want more great books. If you've got a great book in you and the drive, determination, and bull-headed persistence it takes, I want you to make it. When I listen to this I flip it and and think that it's all mine, if I can put in the work to take it.**

Can you feel all the love
Can you feel all the love
Can you feel all the love
Can you feel all the love
Like it was made for you
Like it was made for you...
**One of the reasons I keep writing is so that I can see the light in the face of someone who reads my books and has connected with something in them. It's an emotional connection and bond that's almost like a spark of love, because I have given a bit of myself to the book, and a reader has accepted it and enjoyed it. I hold that motivation in front of myself, like a carrot, to keep going when it gets difficult. It's a motivation made for me.**

Tell me something
Something that can move me
Don't tell me lies
Or I swear you're gonna lose me
**I have to move my readers, and be genuine. If it's fake or contrived then I will lose them. This also applies to me as a reader.**
Begin like an ocean
Jealous of the fish it feeds
Your devotion
Swimming inside of me
**I'm afraid I don't have anything profound for this part.**

Everybody wants you to make it
Its all yours
Everybody wants to take it
Its all yours
Everybody wants you to make it
Its all yours
Everybody wants you to T-t-t-take it
[Can you feel all the love
Can you feel all the love
Can you feel all the love
Can you feel all the love]

Like it was made for you
It was made for you
Like it was made for you
It was made for you

Can you feel
Can you feel
Can you feeeel
**Ultimately writing is about feeling. Intellectual writing can never touch people like things that make them feel, because emotion is such a vital part of the human existence. I have a tendency to try and divorce myself from my feelings, so I have to make a conscious effort to not push it away, and just feel. So the words "Can you feel" has special significance for me.**

Like I said, I'm sure what I get from this song is a universe away from what One Republic envisioned when they wrote it. I have music that works for different characters, scenes, or stories, but this song is just for me.

Do you have songs that inspire you?

2 comments:

Krista said...

That was awesome! And I laughed out loud about the ocean part. Maybe you want to touch the readers... have their devotion swimming inside you?? Hee. Well, whatever, great post!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, I confess, most of the time, I don't think super deeply about songs I hear. But just the fact this talks about writing hooks me. :)

Love One Republic!