Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What Moves You?

As I get older I've realized that one of the most precious parts of being alive is being moved, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually. Those are the moments that stay with you, and the moments that connect you with others. As writers we want to move people. I'm not talking about the changing the world crusader type of moving people, but making a connection between your words and a reader in some way.

The first step is realizing what moves you. Here are some things that move me:

People who rise above the unfairness life has dealt them.

Dawn.
I'm solar-powered and so love all parts of the day, but first light speaks to me like no other time.

Certain music.
This song is THE song for my current YA paranormal WIP. I put it on repeat when I'm working on that book.


Moments of great kindness.

Nature.
Especially those moments when something is so beautiful it's like time freezes so your soul can soak it in.

Children's laughter.


Running outside.(Actual photo from my last relay race.)

Determination
.
(Click here for more info on Team Hoyt.)

What moves you?

2 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh yeah, music definitley. I was just listening to a song last night as I was cooking dinner and I was a complete PUDDLE.
Children's laughter or a smile.
When the sun is just coming up over the ocean on the beach--completely breathtaking.
People who show unbelievable amounts of forgiveness.

Cathy Witbeck said...

Beautiful scenery, glimpses of people being kind to other people, old people holding hands, passages in books that make you wish you'd written them, music that gives you goose bumps or makes you want to jump up and dance and my children when I see the people that they are going to be. (How's that for a run on sentence)