Aside: There is a book out called Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd, that prompted the twitter geek-fest. You've gotta love the title. In reading the book summary it isn't exactly what I expected, but still sounds fun. You can find out about it on Amazon.
The fact that I loved the #geektastic tweets reaffirmed that I secretly harbor an inner geek. Now I know some of you are laughing, because I probably harbor an outer geek, who only thinks my geekiness is hidden. Believe it or not, I have pondered on geekiness. And it went something like this: all my friends were likely geeks in high school, because former geeks make the most interesting adults.
To prove my point, here are some of the fun tweets celebrating geekitude (with my comments because I can't resist):
@hollyblack: i also had a huge crush on Jareth from Labyrinth...but who didn't. Also Tim Curry as Darkness in Legend.
**OMG Jareth! *swoon* But David Bowie normally? Like, ick. And I had no idea Tim Curry was Darkness! I have mixed feelings about Tim Curry ever since a Celebrity look-a-like site declared that he's the celebrity that I resemble the most.
@jimhill: Teaching my son table manners by saying, "Use the Fork, Luke".
**Ha ha ha ha!
@espelumm As a child, I used to dress up as Wonder Woman and stick a rope in my pants.
**I used to dress up as a gelfling from The Dark Crystal. Not nearly as cool as wonderwoman, but probably geekier.
@margaret_crymes Corbin? Corbin Dallas? You green? Corbin, Corbin my man? AWESOME.
**Looooove that movie! Love it. Watch it every time it comes on TV. And own it.
@erez_s Wanting to name my first daughter "Seven" after Seven of Nine from Voyager
**The most well-endowed quasi-Borg around. And spandex gets a bad wrap, because the enlightened Federation wears it for everything.
@RaceMercaldo Okay #DoctorWho fans and #Geektastic peeps... just so you know, Amazon has a Dalek cookie jar
**Dude! What a great idea for a Christmas present! Oh, wait. $90. Never mind.
@maureenjohnson: In honor of #geektastic, a confession: sometimes I say things to my agent like, "So, if this was Settlers of Catan and I had three ore..."
**I want her agent.
@Maria_Disidoro: Getting back to fictional crushes, I've JUST remembered my love of Capt Malcolm. Right? Right. #Firefly #Serenity #geektastic
**Another all-time favorite movie/series, discovered after it was cut. :(
Now for some personal geek confessions.
- I went with my hubby to see the latest "Star Trek" when it came out, and after turning to him for the tenth time and saying, "Oh! That's ______ from the series" and getting blank looks, I started exclaiming with the rather overweight Trekkie-guy sitting a couple seats away on my other side, because he got it.
- My brother tried to teach me Klingon.
- I watched "The Hobbit" cartoon several times. You know, the one with The. Worst. Singing. Ever. (If there was such a thing as "Curse by Vibrato" that guy had it.)
- I used to sneak in my brother's room to play with his Voltron toys.
- I can do the vulcan "Live long and prosper" --with both hands.
- I still have my Elfquest book, which can thank it's continued existence to packing tape. Lots of it.
- My family used to play computer games (on cassette tapes) for hours at a time on our Commodore 64.