Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Geektastic

I turned on Twitter for a little while yesterday (*cue orchestra in the background for an emotional reunion* I know, dear Twitter, it's been a while) and found myself sympathizing and chuckling with several tweets marked by the hashtag #geektastic.

Aside: There is a book out called Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd, that prompted the twitter geek-fest. You've gotta love the title. In reading the book summary it isn't exactly what I expected, but still sounds fun. You can find out about it on Amazon.

The fact that I loved the #geektastic tweets reaffirmed that I secretly harbor an inner geek. Now I know some of you are laughing, because I probably harbor an outer geek, who only thinks my geekiness is hidden. Believe it or not, I have pondered on geekiness. And it went something like this: all my friends were likely geeks in high school, because former geeks make the most interesting adults.

To prove my point, here are some of the fun tweets celebrating geekitude (with my comments because I can't resist):

@hollyblack: i also had a huge crush on Jareth from Labyrinth...but who didn't. Also Tim Curry as Darkness in Legend.
**OMG Jareth! *swoon* But David Bowie normally? Like, ick. And I had no idea Tim Curry was Darkness! I have mixed feelings about Tim Curry ever since a Celebrity look-a-like site declared that he's the celebrity that I resemble the most.

Yeah... not exactly flattering. I avoid those sites now.

@jimhill: Teaching my son table manners by saying, "Use the Fork, Luke".
**Ha ha ha ha!

@espelumm As a child, I used to dress up as Wonder Woman and stick a rope in my pants.
**I used to dress up as a gelfling from The Dark Crystal. Not nearly as cool as wonderwoman, but probably geekier.

@margaret_crymes Corbin? Corbin Dallas? You green? Corbin, Corbin my man? AWESOME.
**Looooove that movie! Love it. Watch it every time it comes on TV. And own it.

@erez_s Wanting to name my first daughter "Seven" after Seven of Nine from Voyager
**The most well-endowed quasi-Borg around. And spandex gets a bad wrap, because the enlightened Federation wears it for everything.

@RaceMercaldo Okay #DoctorWho fans and #Geektastic peeps... just so you know, Amazon has a Dalek cookie jar
**Dude! What a great idea for a Christmas present! Oh, wait. $90. Never mind.

@maureenjohnson: In honor of #geektastic, a confession: sometimes I say things to my agent like, "So, if this was Settlers of Catan and I had three ore..."
**I want her agent.

@Maria_Disidoro: Getting back to fictional crushes, I've JUST remembered my love of Capt Malcolm. Right? Right. #Firefly #Serenity #geektastic
**Another all-time favorite movie/series, discovered after it was cut. :(

Now for some personal geek confessions.
  • I went with my hubby to see the latest "Star Trek" when it came out, and after turning to him for the tenth time and saying, "Oh! That's ______ from the series" and getting blank looks, I started exclaiming with the rather overweight Trekkie-guy sitting a couple seats away on my other side, because he got it.
  • My brother tried to teach me Klingon.
  • I watched "The Hobbit" cartoon several times. You know, the one with The. Worst. Singing. Ever. (If there was such a thing as "Curse by Vibrato" that guy had it.)
  • I used to sneak in my brother's room to play with his Voltron toys.
  • I can do the vulcan "Live long and prosper" --with both hands.
  • I still have my Elfquest book, which can thank it's continued existence to packing tape. Lots of it.
  • My family used to play computer games (on cassette tapes) for hours at a time on our Commodore 64.
That's enough geekiness today. Embrace your inner geek and share in the comments so I don't feel so alone.

7 comments:

andrea said...

Yay for the commodore 64! :-)

This was so much fun to read! And I'm proud of being a geek. :-) I completely agree that young geeks grow into interesting and well-rounded adults. It's like they allowed their personalities to develop a bit longer.

Live long and prosper!

Stephanie McGee said...

Yay for geeks! Woohoo!

I geeked out so bad at the air and space museum I went to over the weekend. I was a total geeky fangirl.

My family on a weekly basis would order pizza and sit around our coffee table to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Matthew Buckley said...

When I was little I used to program on our TI-99. I'd save the programs on a cassette tape. My little brothers found the tape and recorded a 'radio show' over it, with them as the radio hosts. All that work had been written over by little kids talking about the weather. It left such a bitter taste in my mouth, I left the programming world for years.

Don said...

Labyrinth is the movie I took three different girls to in the space of one week. I spent the next four months hopelessly pining for the one who liked it best.

Also, two different girls "let me go" during dates that involved Star Trek IV - one during opening week, and the other several months later at the dollar theater.

What could possibly be more geeky than that?

Noble M Standing said...

Whoohoo!!!!!

I have 5 of the full color ElfQuest graphic novels. I love them! Major geekiness here.

T said...

we actually have a neighbor (about 11 years old) named Seven... I haven't worked up the guts yet to ask his parents if they're hugs Trekkers...

and I totally could sing that horrid song about "Frodo of the nine fingers and the ring of doom" - I'll even throw in the curse of vibrato for fun!

Geeks make the world go 'round.

T said...

oh, and you want geekiness proof?

I was geeky enough to be on a BBS (bulletin board) "back in the day" and no commodore 64 for us... well, not yet - we had the Adam computer - cassette tapes had to be flipped in order to move on to the second stage of Donkey Kong Jr or Qbert...

wait, maybe that just makes me old...