Monday, May 24, 2010

Thoughts on Inertia, or Getting Your Butt Moving is Half the Battle

Warning: Running analogy to follow. (I know, you're not surprised.)


A friend of mine says that she runs races not only for the thrill of the race, but to make herself exercise. And I can attest that there's nothing like a looming race to get you out to train, even when you really don't want to.

Some of you may know that I ran a relay race a week ago (184 miles with a team of 12), and several days before the race I knew I had to run. The upcoming race hovered menacingly over me, but I didn't want to do it. I really didn't want to. However, my stubborn will dragged my reluctant self outside and we went for a run. (Do you like the use of the royal "we?") And you know what? After 1/2 mile, I hit my groove, began to enjoy myself, and I was glad I did it. Oh, I'm sorry. I mean, after 1/2 mile, we hit our groove and began to enjoy ourselves.

*cringe* Forget the royal "we." Now back to the point...

Let me tell you a little secret: this scenario plays out to some degree every time I go to exercise. Getting started is always hard, but once I get going it's easier to keep going.

Dictionary definition: Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion.

And I think that mental, emotional, and motivational inertia is even harder than physical inertia. One of the biggest hurdles in achieving goals--no matter in what area of life--is overcoming that internal resistance.

So just get your butt moving, because that's half the battle.

4 comments:

WindyA said...

Thanks for this, Jamie! I personally think getting going is MORE than half the battle, which is what makes it so dang hard! But in the end, totally worth it, right?

Angie said...

Thanks, Jaime. That's so true. I need to overcome some inertia today!

Deborah said...

Hmmmm. Sounds like a hint.

Jenn Wilks said...

I couldn't agree with you more about mental, emotional, and motivational inertia being the hard part. I've signed up for 2 more races to keep my motivational inertia going - a 5K and a triathlon. Thanks for the reminder. :o)