Thursday, May 13, 2010

Quotable Quotes & Linkable Links

Here are some good things I've stumbled across lately:

Sean Ferrell:
I write every day. Especially when I don't feel like it. Especially when it's not working. I can always choose to not use something that I wrote and that I realize later is the wrong tone, doesn't fit, contradicts other parts. I can't decide to use something that isn't written. I can't use something that is still in my head. Better to have something come out half right than have all of it perfectly in my skull.

Some gems from author Lilith Saintcrow:
* Want to get good enough to be published? Write every day.
I always get flak when I post this. But I keep saying it, because I believe it’s important. No day is too busy that you can’t find ten or fifteen minutes to write. Plus, getting into the habit of doing it every day will help on those days when you Don’t Wanna Butya Hafta. It also makes the point, to yourself and to others, that writing is important. You can’t revise what doesn’t exist. ‘Nuff said.

Let every rejection, bad review, hard edit, or misunderstanding be an invitation do do better. Anything else is a waste of your time.

Agent Rachelle Gardner reminds us of one of the realities of pursuing writing:
Life is all about choices, and when we choose to pursue a passion that's time-consuming, we have to say no to other things.

**Jaime's aside: Like TV. Even now that I've joined the rest of humanity with a DVR, I still don't watch it.

Agent Kristen Nelson points out the 2 biggest culprits for starting your novel in the wrong place: Back Story and Minutiae.

Getting skinny isn't just a weight goal, it's a writing goal too. KM Weiland gives you 10 Ways to Write Skinny Sentences.

Sometimes it is best to say Me First!

I am thrilled to know that my children are not the only ones who pawn stuff off on the neighbors. (Check out this post on The Meanest Mom blog.) Although I have to say that usually my children are selling the stuff, so they're entrepreneurial rather than generous.

I shouldn't worry so much about evil creatures in my books. They can't be worse than Mongolian Death Worms. I didn't know worms could roar. Do they even have vocal cords?

5 comments:

Stephanie McGee said...

LOL Great links and quotes. Thanks for sharing!

Elana Johnson said...

I've seen some of these links, and they're awesome!

MT said...

I'm so glad you posted the "Becoming Legendary" video. Great spot.
btw - when I tried to visit ldstorymakers website, my antivirus program detected a problem (trojan horse) and stopped the page from loading. Thought you should know.

Wendy aka Quillfeather said...

Excellent post. Most interesting.

Thanks for the links :)

Wendy Swore said...

Excellent advice.

Sometimes when writing is like pulling teeth, painful, but necessary. And when it's done we feel so much better. :)