Thursday, April 29, 2010

Things I Learned from Running a Writers Conference

Last weekend was the 2010 LDStorymakers Writers Conference. 450+ people attended and it was pure awesomeness! Several of those attendees have blogged/will blog about what they learned from the conference. And since I was co-coordinator of the event (you know, the one tearing around like a chicken with her head cut off?) I thought I could blog about the things I learned, since they're probably a little different than what everyone else says.

1. Nice, black business shoes with heels will last half a day. Then you won't care who sees you walking around in socks.

2. Being in charge of a conference while wearing just socks is very bad for your pinky toes. You will stub them at every conceivable opportunity. And as you stagger around people might think you're drunk, when really it's just excruciating pain.

3. Running shoes are much more practical. Even if you are wearing black slacks and your shoes are gray and purple, wear them anyway.

4. Don't even try to take notes when people approach you with ideas for future conferences, even if they're fantastic ideas. Give others your email address and ask them to email said fantastic idea later next week, because you won't remember it. You just won't.

5. Set your phone alarm for check out time, so you don't have to sprint through the hotel because you were supposed to check out an hour ago. But if you do have to sprint, at least you're wearing running shoes. (See #3)

6. When you are in charge of a music video, the more embarrassing parts fall to you, since you don't feel like you could ask others to do it.

7. No matter what your rational side says, every little thing that goes wrong feels like you dropped the ball.

8. It takes more days to recuperate than you think, so you'll get behind on blogging.

9. People are awesomely cool. A shout out to all the random people I grabbed to help me with this and that. You rock!

10. Watching people have a good time and things running smoothly can move you to tears.

I also wanted to share that the national agents that attended were impressed with the conference, with how friendly everyone was, and with the quality of fresh ideas they heard. They've spread the word to fellow agents, so everyone's on the lookout for great stuff coming their way from the conference attendees. Yippee!!

20 comments:

Wendy Sparrow said...

I've heard amazing things about that conference... and wished I could have gone. Plus, it seems like you kept your sense of humor. Congrats on it being over. ;)

Elana Johnson said...

It was a super-fabulous conference, Jaime! I didn't notice any snafus at all. Of course, I had taken quite an illegal dose of Dayquil, so I might not be the best person to ask...

David J. West said...

You did an awesome job-maybe I should have just given you the sword as a reward.

Krista said...

Congratulations, Jaime. I've heard nothing but good, amazing things about the conference! I'm ready to register for next year! (oops, you probably did NOT want to hear that)

Mary Campbell said...

You did a fabulous job Jaime. Thank you for working so hard to make in enjoyable for everyone.

Carolyn V. said...

You did do a great job Jamie. (I gave up on the heels too). I think it's so cool that the agents had a good time. Double thumbs up! =)

One Cluttered Brain said...

You did do an AMAZING job at the conference! Maybe next year we will get to chat a little more?

Probably not though--Busy Co-chair running lady. You rock.
And your non-fiction class was perfect. Just what I needed to hear. Thanks!

Stephanie Black said...

Fantastic conference, Jaime! You ladies are awesome! Thank you so much for such a great weekend.

andrea said...

Jaime, you, Crystal, and Tristi did a fantastic job! I feel overwhelmed for you - having 450 people attend. What a feat! I didn't notice anything go wrong - it all seemed perfectly coordinated. Can't wait for next year!

(Let us know when you've got that inspirational clip up! :-))

Josi said...

You and Crystal were flat out amazing. Best conference ever. I love you more and more every time I get to hang with you.

Sarah M Eden said...

The conference was absolutely fabulous. Especially that class on Description and Setting--that was 50 minutes of pure genius. *ahem*

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Awesome job on the conference! Go ahead and wear those tenny-runners. We'll understand. ;)

Stephanie McGee said...

Congrats! Wish I could have been there.

Angie said...

The conference was terrific. The best one I've ever been too. You did such a great job. I can hardly wait for next year!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

It really was a great conference and I'm already looking forward to next year. From my end, everything seemed to run very smoothly.

Taffy said...

If something went wrong, you and Crystal didn't show it. You both looked like you were having fun and totally at ease.
(except the whole shoe incident)

Yamile said...

I loved how the tennis shoes. I thought you look great. And the conference was amazing! I'm floored by your many talents Jaime. You're amazing.

Don said...

The conference was awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and so did everyone else I talked to. You and your peeps did a great job. Kudos all around.

PS Now that I'm off the work network, I'm glad not to see anything Danish in your post...

C. K. Bryant said...

Great post Jaime. Hey, we're trying to get the newsletter done for Author's Incognito. Who do I talk to about getting permission to post the cute music video there? We'd also love to hear from you about the conference if you have a few minutes to jot down a paragraph or two. The conference was FANTASTIC!! I've been to 5 and this was by far the best and biggest. WOO HOO!!

You can email me at: christine@ckbryant.com

C.S. Bezas said...

You and Crystal were stupendous. Excellent job, ladies!