Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Word of the Week #93 - mondegreen

mondegreen - [MON-di-green] - noun

Definition:
A word or phrase resulting from a misinterpretation of a word or phrase that has been heard.

Usage:
Mondegreens can be found in every area of the spoken word, from the record buyer who asks for a copy of the Queen single "Bohemian Rap City" to the schoolchild who is convinced that the Pledge of Allegiance begins "I led the pigeons to the flag."
-- Gavin Edwards, 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy: And Other Misheard Lyrics

4 comments:

MT said...

Aha. That's helpful. I've always wondered what to call that kind of mix up. :)

Kimberly said...

Mondegreen-ing is one of my particular talents, actually.

L.T. Elliot said...

Rap City...ha ha ha ha! And leading pidgeons is no easy feat!

Krista said...

I am often mocked for my mondegreens. "Billy Jean's at my do-or..."