Thursday, February 18, 2010

Basic Twitterese

Twitter terms can sometimes annoy, confuse, or just amuse. I've decided to make my own Twitter language, called Twitterese. It's easy to speak, just add tw- to the beginning of a word, tack on -itter on the end of a word, speak in #hashtags, or eliminate all spaces. It's even better if you can do all of that at the same time.

Example: I hatitter when the twelementary school piles on #schoolprojects all at twonce. #Bangmytwheadonthewallitter

For those who may need to brush up on actual twitter terms, here are a few (not in any particular order):

twitterspeak = the language of Twitter
(Oh yes, there is a language.)

tweet = a post on Twitter
(Although a good friend of mine calls her posts "twits", just because we love that word.)

tweeple = people on Twitter

*or, if you want to be cooler*

tweeps = your Twitter peeps

tweetup = when Twitter users meet in person

twitterverse = the Twitter universe

RT = retweet
(Basically quoting another person's tweet.)

# = a topic hashtag, like #kidlitchat, #writerwednesday, #amwriting, #NaNo

@ = indicates a username
(I'm @Bookmom2000. I've thought about switching to my actual name, but I haven't gotten around to it.)

#FollowFriday or #FF = where Twitter users share people that they think are worth following.
(I personally don't mind the practice, but I've read several places where people hate it and say that they stay off Twitter on Fridays because of it.)

DM = abbreviation for Direct Message, or sending a tweet to only one person

@ reply = replying to a person on Twitter where anyone else can see. You tag their username onto your tweet so they know you're talking to them.

tweeterbox = someone who tweets too much

twitterati = the A-list people everyone wants to follow
(Like me! ;)

autofollow = following someone automatically if they follow you
(I don't autofollow.)


For a more complete list, here's a link to Mashable's Twitterspeak: 66 Twitter Terms. But to be honest I haven't seen most of those terms in my adventures on Twitter.

And yes, believe it or not, there is an actual Twittonary. *Warning: From the tiny bit of browsing I did it has some very snarky entries.

Oops. Sorry. I meant to say it has snarkyitter twentries. #amusingbutpotentiallyvulgar

7 comments:

One Cluttered Brain said...

HA! I love your Twitter posts! They crack me up and they are so informative. I RT'd this one EVEN BEFORE I read it...that's HOW good you are. to me that is...:)

Wendy Sparrow said...

LOL. I'm getting the hang of twitter nowdays. (I just made up that last word.) I call my followers "twits" --I like to think of it as hipper and slightly snarky. :) It might just be annoying and rude, though.

Christine said...

HILARIOUS! I'm re tweeting. :P

L.T. Elliot said...

Thank you for that! I'm a twit. In so many ways.

Kimberly Job said...

Thanks for posting this for us twitter-challenged folk, and also for the links you sent me. They were very helpful.

Carolyn V. said...

I am twitter challenged. It's not secret. Thanks for the invaluable help. =)

kanishk said...

it as hipper and slightly snarky. :) It might just be annoying and rude, though.

Work from home India