Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It Just So Happens

This post is dedicated to Shauna, who asked yesterday, "I remembered you wrote several months back about Holly Lisles course on Getting the Book you Want From the One you Have....Have you liked the course? Did you pay for it? Was it like getting sections of a book a little at a time- or was there intructor interaction? Just looking for an update on what your final impression was."

Shauna must be a little bit psychic, because I couldn't have chosen a better lead-in to the post I was thinking about writing for today. Yes, I have been working my tail end off with Holly Lisle's How To Revise Your Novel Course, which I have been paying for and, in my opinion, has been totally worth it. Each week comes with a lesson, worksheets, and specific examples with a demo novel, in this case a NaNo novel that a brave soul let Holly use in its full, rough draft, un-glory.

What I have loved about this course is that you spend a week focusing on a certain aspect of fiction, like world-building, characters, conflict, subplots, etc. So far we've gone through and found in great detail how and where our books have crashed and burned in each area--and why. I can guarantee my next rough draft will be better than the one I'm using, because I see things I wouldn't have before. And the great thing is that somewhere around the 5th or 6th read-through, I started getting all these ideas on how I could fix this book.

The process shows how to focus on the big problems, rather than wasting time tweaking sentences in a scene that really should be cut anyway. And once I learn these things, I'll be able to do it much faster. I will definitely be sharing more of my epiphanies in the future.

So now that I've answered Shauna's question and gushed a little bit, here's the opportunity I wanted to share with you. Not only do I like the way Holly Lisle approaches things, but this is really a fantastic deal for $5. Even if you only learn a couple things, it's worth the price of a trip to Starbucks, right?

The info, straight from Holly Lisle's email notification:

======================
Crash Revisions: How To Revise A Novel In Seven Days
======================

Here's the scenario: Well-Known-Writer Britta Brigga blows her deadline, and leaves the lead slot for her category in the month her book was to be published wide open. So your editor, who has your manuscript sitting on her desk, emails you, saying, "If you can get the revisions done for me in a week, I can get YOU into that slot---with the lead slot budget and advertising and promotion. IF you can turn the book around in a week."

This is not a hypothetical situation. It's happened to me once with a full-on NYT bestseller's slot and promo budget as the prize, (and in lesser situations, where the move up was simply to a better sales month, it's happened SEVERAL times)...and it happens to everyone from beginners with their first manuscript sitting on an editor's desk, to old-timers who've published a dozen or more novels in their careers. It's the equivalent of having a star pitcher in baseball blow a rotator cuff, and being the rookie who gets The Call up from the minors to pitch in the pros.

And it happens frequently, because there are a LOT of writers who can't or won't hit their deadlines. Bad for them. Great for you. It's a fantastic opportunity to move your book into a better position to be seen. If you can do it.

In Crash Revisions, you'll learn how to do an editor's revision in seven days. And how YOU become the pro who doesn't blow deadlines.

===============
Course Outline
===============

Day One

The FIRST Day: The Fast Target, and How You Build It

*What Your Editor Wants
*What You Want
*What You DON'T Have Time For
*Assumptions That Kill---Your Editor's AND Yours
*Putting It All In Order

Day Two

The NEXT THREE Days: The Focused Cut, and How You Prep It

*What You MUST Fix
*What You WANT To Fix
*What You MUST Avoid
*The Prep
*The Cut

Day Three

The LAST THREE Days: The Lightning Write-In, and How You Control It

*What You'll See
*What You Have To Ignore
*Using Target And Cut To Get What You Want
*The Type-In
*Final Moments


See why it's a great deal at $5.00? That's right, folks. Only $5! You can sign up here at Savvy Authors here.

I'm already signed up, and I'd love for some of you to join me. :)

5 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Wow, getting a MS revised in a week?! That is amazing. Thanks for the awesome info!

Elana Johnson said...

Dude! I'm signing up RIGHT NOW.

L.T. Elliot said...

That looks AWESOME!

Shauna said...

I'm feeling the tiniest bit famous right now. Sometimes my friends wonder if I'm a bit psychic. Usually though instead of psychic I'm accused of being slightly eccentric. I think it's a writer thing- all that talking to oneself.
Thanks for answering my question so fabulously. I read her plotting download yesterday and will sign up for her revision course. And I'm on a notification list for the other class. Hooray!

kanishk said...

That is amazing.

Work from home India