Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Blocking Take 2

A couple weeks ago I blogged about Task Blocking. I still think it's a great idea, and I'm working on being better than I was. I also promised some stats on what I do during the day. Hooray for stats!

Number of days I religiously kept track until life intervened & I said "Forget it!": 3

In those 3 days, my time was spent doing:

Mommy/life stuff (like karate, dance class, cooking, cleaning, doing homework, supervising piano, paying bills, taking showers, eating, grocery shopping, etc.): 30 hours

Sleep: 22.5 hours

Exercise (including driving to and from the gym): 4.6 hours

Writing: 4.3 hours

Email (this was not emailing for fun, but mostly emailing for things that I am in charge of): 4.1 hours

On the phone (usually while doing other things like dishes): 1.9 hours

Down time (watching TV, reading, hanging out with the family): 1.25 hours

Blogging (writing my own or reading other blogs-which I know I've been horrible at lately): 1.2 hours

Twitter/Facebook: 1 hour

Non-email tasks related to the conference I am coordinating (the 2010 LDStorymakers Writers Conference - it's a good one!): .6 hours

That comes out to a total of 71.45 hours accounted for out of 72 hours in a 3 day period, and .55 hours unaccounted for. That roughly 30 minutes were most likely taken up by staring at the computer screen when I should have been doing something productive.

Even though I didn't make it a whole week, I did learn from recording what I did for three days. I learned that email takes up a lot of my time, that I spend more time on Twitter than I thought, that I need to dedicate more time each day to just writing, and being a mommy really is my full-time job (with the hours to prove it).

Have any of you tried recording what you do every day? It can be an eye opener.

6 comments:

Nisa said...

That is interesting! I can already say I spend too much time on the computer. I need to get better at that.

I so wish I could attend that conference!!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Wow!!!!!!! I'm amazed. I can hardly remember what I ate yesterday. You're good. I can imagine if I recorded what I did for a few days, I would freak seeing what I'm not getting accomplished. *sigh

So inspirational, your activity log.

Carolyn V. said...

Oh my gosh. What a great idea! I need to look through my week. I bet I spend way too much time playing that one online game. I've gotta cut that out of my schedule.

Cathy Witbeck said...

I don't think I have time to write down what I do on the list of things that I do, that would be one more thing to do. Dooby dooby do.

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm a little afraid of that. ;)

Valerie Ipson said...

I'm afraid to do that, too. Very afraid.