Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Things I Learned in 2009

I know 2009 was so last week, but I feel like I should take a post (or 3 or 4) to reminisce on the good old days of last year. And--lucky you--I'm blogging about it. :)

So, without further ado...


1. When the staff at the dentist's office keeps asking you if you're *sure* you want to do all the dental work in one visit, perhaps you should rethink.

2. You can often do more than you think you can. Just focus on one step at a time.

3. Stage 2 dehydration is not fun at all. In a completely bad, horrible, and no-good way.

4. My furnace room is possessed by an invisible something that loves to blow out the pilot light of the hot water heater on the coldest days of the month after I've worked up a good (and stinky) sweat at the gym, then keeps blowing out the light every time I relight it, but graciously steps out of the way when the plumber tries, so that he says, "It worked just fine for me. That'll be $100."

5. Do the more important things first, because days are like pancakes--stuff stacks up as you go and you might not get to the important things once you're drowning in syrup.

6. The computer ink industry is a total racket. $200+ for ink?! Here, let me hand over a limb or my first born while I'm at it.

7. If you find yourself communicating face to face in 140 character increments, then maybe it's time to step away from Twitter--for a little while.

8. Take time to dance and sing often. The acoustics in the shower are pretty good, and if you sing in the car, the people around you don't know you're off-key. Or singing along with Madonna.

9. Cultivate gratitude for all your blessings, because you never know when the rug will be yanked out from under you and you're on your knees.

10. It is possible to eat almost 3 lbs. of sugar snap peas in a day--by yourself. *cough* *cough*

What did you learn last year?

5 comments:

L.T. Elliot said...

I love sugar snap peas too. Delish!

We had that same furnace issue and don't you love when you end up paying out the nose? Fun stuff, that.

Eric said...

Great list. Being a computer geek, I truly appreciate #6. Oh, and I completely agree with you about singing. If you can't dance like nobody's watching (since I can't really dance well), sing like nobody is listening.

Julie Wright said...

you didn't offer to share the snap peas with me :(

loved the list. And I agree about that dentist thing :)

Rachael Renee Anderson said...

Great post, Jaime. Loved it!

Anna C. Morrison said...

Great list!!! And I went to the dentist last Monday, myself. Made not want to sing so much in the car for a while. Getting back into it now. Happy 2010! Love the list idea and the reminiscing.