Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Some Writing Things I Learned in 2009

I learned so much last year in my writing that I can't even come close to listing it all. And you do have other things to do today, right? So I'll limit it to 12.

  1. The importance of Embracing the Crap.
  2. What is with the whole Twitter-thing.
  3. Some of the habits of successful writers.
  4. Sometimes you have to listen to your characters.
  5. You have to keep your eyes on the summit.
  6. I don't have to try and juggle cats.
  7. It's necessary at times to fall in love again.
  8. Gathering up all the different parts of me to make a plan is sometimes hard.
  9. I discovered the wonderful landscape of story architecture.
  10. What running up a hill in the middle of the night has to do with writing.
  11. Some great thoughts on editing.
  12. You can do personality tests for imaginary friends.
What have you learned in the last year?

4 comments:

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Oh yes! Wrap up post! Will have to check out all the articles. Especially embracing the crap. So well put ;)

L.T. Elliot said...

The personality tests thing for characters was a big eye opener for me. What an excellent way to really discover them, huh?

ali said...

Loved all those posts. Thanks for sharing your learning with us!

Noble M Standing said...

I learned Story Structure ala Brooks. It changed my life. Thank you for showing me the way! I am a changed person!