Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Seeing the Spark


If you're like me, then many times ideas come at the strangest times. Sometimes they hit out of the blue, like a flash or spark. And if you don't pay attention, then they're gone. I think anyone pursuing creative endeavors (like writing, music, art, etc.) has to train themselves to pay attention. You have to see the spark.

I've had idea sparks while I'm driving, or while listening to music, or from a painting, or while watching a person walking ahead of me in the store. I've started carrying around a little notebook that I can whip out and write the idea sparks down so I don't forget them.

Sparks can come from anywhere and anything. And just to prove it to you, here are some things that have tickled my spark. (Let's start a new phrase, shall we?)

Pictures like these:


Previously undiscovered ecosystems. (See this article.)

Dreams. (Hey, it worked for Stephenie Meyer.)

A phrase like "a chapter of loathing."

This song:




You can also go to resources like this Imagination Prompt Generator and creativewritingprompts.com for a little more help if you're spark is a little low.

What about you? What sparks your imagination & creativity?

7 comments:

One Cluttered Brain said...

Anything and everything! Whereever my mind happened to be at the time.
I am a sponge for my writing part of me. i soak up everything I come in to contact with...

I like this post...As I like all your creative ideas...Great music!

Don said...

Many of my ideas come from disappointments around me, like movies with a great premise that just don't live up, or TV shows that get it all wrong.

And for some reason, mowing the lawn and emptying the dishwasher seem to be the most sparky times.

ElanaJ said...

Just about everything. I often wonder about things I see on TV, during a commercial, etc. And sometimes those wonderings turn into stories. Sometimes.

L.T. Elliot said...

Those same things spark my creativity. Pictures, music, paintings, dreams, even feelings. Turns of phrase are great ones!

ali said...

I'm like you Jaime, I find those sparks everywhere. I've taken to LOVE my iPhone's recorder feature. I can get to it really quickly, so I just leave little messages for me about the spark. Works awesome! I write most of my blogs that way--or at least, record the idea for them that way. :)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

you won an award on my blog today.

Jaime Theler said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas, guys!