Friday, December 18, 2009

Into the Abyss

The last week I was tagged for a couple things. And as is often the way with bloggy games of tag, I get to share some stuff about me. So you get a glimpse into the abyss of my often scatterbrained mind (hence the title of this post).

First Tamara of the super cute haircut (just pop over there and look at her pic with her DH and I dare you not to agree with me) over at Chasing Dreams gave me the Honest Scrap award.

I get to pass this on to other bloggers who I feel have honest blogs. Perhaps even brutally honest. (I've found that with brutal honesty usually I'm the one who ends up worse off. I'm toying with the idea of getting "Open mouth, insert foot" tattooed somewhere on my body, preferably somewhere I see it often as a reminder to think before I speak.)

And I choose:
Elana Johnson
Jody Hedlund
L.T. Elliott
Kimberly at Temporary Insanity

I'm not sure how many I'm "supposed" to choose, so I'll stick with 4 to make it easier on myself. And I also get to share ten facts about myself. Let's see... how to make this interesting... I know! Let's make it Christmas-y.

  1. For the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me: a warm electric blankey.
  2. For the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 2 published books, and... (we'll skip the whole repeating part. But if you want to sing it, go for it!)
  3. For the 3rd day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 3 beautiful kids
  4. For the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 4 different college majors (business, commercial art, composite dance, physical therapy) until I finally decided on one
  5. For the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 5 golden onion rings!!! (Which is the only way I like to eat onions, esp. after the one summer when we had frozen onions in a deep freezer that died and we didn't know it until the smell seeped out. Cleaning up frozen, thawed, and spoiled onions that smell akin to a decomposing corpse does not an onion-fan make. Is that TMI?)
  6. For the 6th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 6 running races last summer
  7. For the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 7 brothers-in-law
  8. For the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 8 glasses of water I should be drinking every day but don't
  9. For the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 9:00 as my wish bedtime
  10. For the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 10 more surprise characters that popped up wanting a part in my 3 books I'm working on. (Some are pretty insistent, too!)

And not only did I get that little award, but L.T. Elliot over at Dreams of Quill and Ink also tagged me for an interview-thingey. (I think it's called a meme. I'm embarrassed to admit I had to google "meme" to find out what it meant, but since I just got an honest blog award, I better be honest, right?)

1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote was my Middle Grade NaNoWriMo novel. And I still have a story I wrote when I was 8 or 9 about kids that find a magic tunnel in a nearby house.

2. Write poetry?
No. I have a very, very short poetry attention span.

3. Angsty poetry?
Maybe I should give it a try.

*clearing throat*

Roses are red

Wait a minute! That's so cliche; everyone does roses. I don't want to be pigeonholed into a flower that everyone thinks I should like because I'm a girl. What if I don't like roses? What if I prefer lilies? Or daisies? I should be free to choose my own flower without everyone telling me what to do! Freedom from the oppression of roses!!

**See, that's why I don't write poetry.

4. Favorite genre of writing?
I really like fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal, urban fantasy is good, too, and mysteries, some general fiction, the occasional Dean Koontz, historical fiction once in a while, and romance once in a blue moon only if it's funny & not too graphic or sappy, fun picture books, and... Yeah, I'm an eclectic reader. It all depends on my mood.

5. Most annoying character you've ever created?
A two-faced goblin that ate disgusting food and loved to push everyone else's buttons. He was a blast to write, though.

6. Best Plot you've ever created?
I'm hoping one of the ones I'm working on right now. *crossing fingers*

7. Coolest Plot twist you've ever created?
See the answer to #6.

8. How often do you get writer's block?
I prefer not to think of it as writer's block, but more of a stubborn muse. And she's dang stubborn sometimes.

9. Write fan fiction?
No.

10. Do you type or write by hand?
Type. *shudder* Definitely type.

11. Do you save everything you write?
Not necessarily. I'm an OCD de-junker, which also includes my computer. :)

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
Yes, because I can be dang stubborn sometimes.

13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
So far Parenting the Ephraim's Child because it's still helping people.

14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?
I'm not sure.

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
I tried romance, and it didn't work at all. I suppose because I usually laugh hysterically at romance (even if they're not funny ones). I've never been a particularly angsty person either, so I don't do angst real well.

16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?
Alternate worlds/realities or our own world with a twist.

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Three. (Am I insane??)

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
No. But I think I should, so I'm going to give myself one. I predict a future blog post on that.

19. What are your five favorite words?
Aargh! *pulling at hair* I have to pick just 5?! I don't know. Maybe twit. Or perhaps superfluous. But discombobulate is a good word. And pedantic is a classic word. I think my number one pick should probably be indecisive.

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?
Lara, my MC in my current paranormal. Except she has cool powers that I don't.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
Everywhere.

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
Sometimes.

23. Do you favor happy endings?
I favor twisty endings.

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
I would have to say moderately.

25. Does music help you write?
Yes, unless it's the wrong pick for the scene. Then it messes me up.

26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head.

**I cheated and looked it up, because I can't quote myself like that. :)

"They don’t train for the smells. The contingencies, the weapons, the sights and sounds—yes. But not for the gummy slick odor of blood that hung over the ramshackle house like haze. Coating the peeling wallpaper and tattered furniture. Fresh enough that it stuck in the back of Max’s throat like mucus that wouldn’t cough up." --from deleted prologue for Going Under


I will now pass this meme on to...to...to.... the four people I passed the Honest Blog awards to. *whew!* Such pressure!

2 comments:

L.T. Elliot said...

I loved your answers, Jaime. And how awesome was all that stuff your true love gave you! What a great guy. =]
P.S. I LOVE lilies AND daisies!!

Terresa said...

Congrats all around! Those are some great peeps, amazing wonderful sweet.

Pass the onion rings. Mmmmm.