Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Work in Progress Letter of Apology


Dear Blogosphere,

I must apologize for my neglect the last little while. You see, I'm doing this crazy fun writing project called NaNoWriMo and I'm so stubborn tenacious that I sometimes move along at a snail's pace just to make sure I'm still moving. So some days I don't always have time for you.

To all the blogs stacking up in Google Reader, I'm sorry. I will probably neglect you for a few more weeks, and by then I'll probably have 2000 un-read posts and might just have to clear them all and start over. But I'm sure your blogs are great.

To all my bloggy friends who are still posting awesome blogs while racking up insane wordcounts in NaNoWriMo, I'm sorry. You won't see many comments from me, but know I still love you. And you make me sick--in a purely loving, writer-crush kind of way.

To my own blog with its dashboard full of half-written, meaty, content-filled posts on Twitter, habits of successful writers, and other topics oozing profundity, I'm sorry. Please bear with me. Once I don't feel like brain cells are oozing out my ear by lunchtime I will finish you all--pinky promise. But maybe not until December, because not many writer-types would be reading them until then anyway.

To my husband who would like to play a leisurely game of whatever on the computer without his wife hovering and giving him the evil eye, I'm sorry. I know the computer isn't mine, just mostly mine. And I'll try and take my twitchiness in the other room.

To my butt that has spent a lot of time parked in the computer chair, I'm sorry. And I'm sorry for the treadmill workout this morning. But you are spending a lot of time parked in the computer chair.

To my Christmas shopping list and my yard work and my basement, I'm sorry. I'll get to you before Christmas. At least I hope I will.

To my friends and neighbors who I walk right past without acknowledging, I'm sorry. I'm not really being snooty, I'm just concentrating on stuff like plot points and character arc. Just peek at the contents in my shopping cart and if they look totally random then chances are I'm in my own book world.

To my Twitter followers who've had to endure some really weird tweets the last week, I'm sorry. I'm blowing off steam and I *think* I make sense, even though sometimes I don't.

To my main character who just got made a complete fool of by genetically engineered kittens, I'm NOT sorry. And you better buckle up, buddy, cause it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Warmest regards,

Jaime, a.k.a. Bookmom

P.S. I'm at 14,000 words into my Zero Draft for NaNo (I like calling it a Zero Draft, because that first draft is really so horrible it almost doesn't deserve the title First Draft, and then you don't beat yourself up so much about yucky writing when it's only a Zero Draft). And I'm also at about 6,000 words of Dragon Wrangler, where my co-author is sending me her Zero Draft and I'm making some revisions and hopefully nudging it over into a First Draft.

P.P.S. Anyone else feel like they need to apologize this month?

7 comments:

ElanaJ said...

*raises hand* I've been MIA for a few days. And the thought of trying to catch up has my eyes bleeding. Good luck with NaNo!

L.T. Elliot said...

Yes, I feel like I should apologize to everything all the time. Especially during Nano.
But don't worry. You don't have to apologize to me. =] I know you're Nano-ing.

One Cluttered Brain said...

I'm so glad you are doing well. So far I have yet to neglect my blog. It gives me a sense of relief at the end of the day or sometimes in the middle to check my dashboard. I do NOT however check it when I am Nano'ing. I even turned off Tweetdeck while I wrote this morning. I like Zero draft. That sounds better.

Hope I've got something worth reading someday.

Happy Nano'ing! I'll just tweet in your direction every now and then!

Anna C. Morrison said...

I hear ya! We blog when we can, we comment when we can, we follow when we can, and we twitter even when we shouldn't! Good luck on NaNoWrMo! You are a brave soul!

ali said...

I accept your apology.

chang said...

Excellent help! Thank you for this great tutorial!!
website development

Bethany Wiggins said...

Neglect away. Remember, you and your family and your writing are your first priority. Always.