Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lowering the Bar


I've talked about rough drafts and embracing the crap before, but it's taken on a whole new meaning as I'm cranking out words for NaNoWriMo. It is taking sheer will to ignore the "to be" verbs, the passive voice, and the shoddy sentences. But I'm doing it! And forging ahead. (Just past the half-way mark. Woot!)

Whenever I get the urge to go back and fix something I try and remember how much time that wastes, because I just need to get this first draft finished. Then I can revise to my heart's content, and whine about it then.

But for now, I'm lowering the bar.

6 comments:

One Cluttered Brain said...

Yeah me too. Geez! What a month December will be for editing. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

That is SO HARD TO DO. Great work!

Wendy Sparrow said...

Sometimes the bar must be lowered in order to keep the pacing of inspiration. Good luck getting beyond those sneaky "to be" verbs.

Bethany Wiggins said...

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! Going back over what I've written is my own personal way of dragging my feet. Good job on passing half way mark !

L.T. Elliot said...

That picture is frickin' hilarious!

Stephanie L. McGee said...

Wahoo! Congrats!

WV: unedit

Literally. You can't make this stuff up.