Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm NaNo'ing - Bring It On!


You see that little badge in the sidebar? Yep, I'm NaNo'ing. I finally decided late Saturday night, Oct. 31st, to take the plunge and be all official for National Novel Writing Month, which started at 12:01 a.m. Nov. 1st.

I'm so ecstatic to join all my fellow NaNo'ers! Now I won't feel left out. Do we have a secret handshake or something?

I've signed up, I know I need to write 50,000 words by the end of the month, and... now what? Do I report my word count somewhere official-like? Is there a forum or something somewhere where I could procrastinate rather than write? I guess I can enter the NaNoWriMo popularity contest and start collecting "Buddies?" (I'm Bookmom2000. Be my buddy. C'mon. Please?) I'm a newbie at this, so maybe some of you seasoned NaNo'ers can give me some direction.

But for now I'm scrambling to do at least *some* pre-writing so that I have a clue where I'm going with this book. The first question: Can I outline and draft at the same time? The second question: Can I not spiral into the depths of despair by comparing my puny word count with those already being posted? (Seriously, people! How do you DO that?!?!)

I figure that I can prolong the torture over a few months to produce an atrocious first draft, or I can just crank it out in a month and be done with it. So, for better or worse, I'm NaNo'ing!

(Is it just me, or does NaNo'ing sound like an obscure desert planet in the Star Wars universe?)

5 comments:

One Cluttered Brain said...

i'm sure you got something up your sleeve. I mean you are book mom after all.
if I knew how to add buddys I'd add you.
There is a word count thingmajiggy at the top of the nano page. Just update your word count as you go thru the month.
I also update FB. i get more support that way.
YEAH!!!!
Don't write about high school people. They are lame and they tend to whine a lot. Just sayin.

Eric said...

First off, congrats on joining us in NaNo land. I feel like Mork from Ork everytime I say that, but anyway. You can add your word count on your profile, where it says novel details (or something similar). And sure, I'll add you as a buddy. I'm nowhere near a seasoned NaNo'er (this being my first year), but everyone can use a buddy - myself included. As for procrastination, don't do it. Ever. Just write. Then write some more. Then write again, and again. Don't worry about writing "well" as much as just concentrating on getting something down. Trust me, alot of what I have so far is clumsy at best, but I know after I'm done with this rough draft (emphasis on rough), I'll be going back to morph it into something usable. One thing I have been doing (which is new for me) is I sit down and map out a rough summary of the chapter, and then I write the chapter. That has helped alot I think. Finally, don't compare your daily word count with anyone else. Just do what you can do and let the rest be what it's going to be. Good luck and if you need support or help, bug me :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ooooh, may the force be with you. :)

ElanaJ said...

You update your words on the main NaNo site, girl. And you totally have to join the Utah word war. There's a category for SLC, Utah county and elsewhere. Since you're gonna kill this thing, we need your 50 K in the Utah county category. Gotta sign up by Nov. 7. I can probably (maybe) send you a link if you need it. I think I found it through my region last year.

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm totally Nanoing too (yes on the star wars) and I'll buddy you, Baby!
Best of luck! I know you'll do great!