Friday, November 6, 2009

Breaking the Chains

Do you ever feel like as soon as you start a project that you're already behind? Like organizing your basement, or winterizing your yard (or maybe that's just me). Or what about your NaNoWriMo project?

Here's my little secret: I don't know if I'm behind or not.

I'm pretty OCD about numbers and I love spreadsheets, but for NaNoWriMo I decided to try and channel my inner free spirit (it's in there somewhere, I'm sure). I've sent my internal editor on a vacation, and the part of me tied to numbers has also been gagged and shoved in a closet. The idea is that I'll just enjoy the writing and not worry about the numbers.

Since I do have to have some sort of goal, I counted the days in November that I could theoretically write - not Sundays because I take that day off. Then I took 50,000 words and divided it by those days. I figured that I'll be good if I write about 2050 words a day, and so far I'm doing okay with that.

Still, the OCD Number Jaime bangs on the closet door whenever I read stuff like "Should be to 12,500 by the end of the day!" from other people. Then I start to think, perhaps I should subtract Thanksgiving, since I probably won't be able to write a lot then unless I do it at 3 a.m. Maybe I should figure out what my word count should be by the end of this week, and the end of next week, and then I could make a spreadsheet. Oooo, what about a graph? I could color-code it and...

Back in the closet! *shoving her in and slamming the door*

I'm breaking free from the number chains!



Who wants to join me?

For a good laugh, check out InkyGirl's NaNo comic for the day.

4 comments:

ali said...

I'm right there with ya Jamie! I'm steadfastly refusing to beat myself up if I don't make 2000 words every day. I know enough about my writing self to know that I'll have better days.

And I'm refusing to get all competitive when I read how others are doing.

I just need to shrug it off.

Hey, is there room in your closet for MY inner number girl?

One Cluttered Brain said...

I'm not writing Sundays either. Most days i have been writing more that 2,000 words. I hope to be done or nearly done by Thanksgiving. However there are still people ahead of me. Nuts! I have resigned to the fact that someone will always be ahead of me.
Stupid numbers game!!!

Kristi Stevens said...

Oh me! Me! I'll break free. Sometimes I'm so restricted by all my ODC goals I have to schedule bathroom breaks. How can creativity exist in that environment?

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm doing that right now. I'm not even posting my stats on the nano site lately. I just don't want to compete with myself. I want to write and not worry. Way to go, Jaime. I'm proud of you!