Monday, October 12, 2009

Word of the Week #72

discombobulate - [dis-kum-bob-yuh-leyt] - verb (used with object)

Definition:
to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate

Usage:
I am completely discombobulated by computer events the last couple of days. I went to bed Saturday night and everything was fine. On Sunday morning my oldest son told me there was a weird dialogue box when he turned on the computer and every personal setting, document, picture, music file, bookmark, etc. was gone. The computer looked like when we turned it on the first time out of the box. *panic* Luckily I have online backup (aside: Get it. Do it. It's so worth $5 a month) and so I started restoring everything - a process that would take 12 hours. Then hours later the online backup program showed that it had paused the restore and gone through its routine daily backup, and listed the files that had been changed. What??? It shouldn't have had anything to change, because there were no more files left! But what was even more valuable was it listed the changed files and their location on the computer, which was some freaky TEMP file where whatever had happened had stashed *everything*. So I hadn't lost everything. In fact, I now had duplicates of whatever the restore had gotten to. So I went on a hunt and delete party. I only got through most of the documents, and none of the pictures or music. Then this morning I turned on the computer and my desktop wallpaper of Saturday was back (which it wasn't on Sunday) as well as all my internet settings, and my documents and pictures in the right places and not duplicated. There are a few files missing that I've quickly restored from my backup, but I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating all day yesterday because my family all saw it.

So let me repeat: I am completely discombobulated by computer events of the last day.

3 comments:

L.T. Elliot said...

I hate computers almost as much as I love them. Thanks HEAVENS for the online backup though!
Did you still have the work that you were worried about?

Jody Hedlund said...

That's so scary!! I know it can happen at anytime! I just don't understand WHY people want to destory and make life miserable for others!

Kimberly said...

I absolutely ADORE that word. I even use it regularly in every day conversation.

This explains much about my (lack of a) social life.