Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cast Call for Villains

Today's Work in Progress Wednesday sees the progress meter on the rough draft of "Going Under" (YA paranormal) inching toward the right--60%, Yea!! And because I can't just take it easy and work on two projects at a time, I've also added yet a third progress meter thingey, for a MG Fantasy I'm co-writing, called Dragon Wrangler.

I foresee very little in the way of social fun in my near future. But that's okay, because the weather's getting colder and I don't have any races coming up or scheduled hiking trips up mountains. (Thanks to that white stuff indicating below-freezing temperatures. GAK! Snow!)

But for project #2 I'm issuing a Cast Call for Villains. I need some of history's best story bad guys/women. Like:

Wicked Stepmothers


Captain Hook


The Queen of Hearts


(Or for a scarier take on her, check out Frank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars series.)

Darth Vader

Dracula


These are just a few of the villains I could think of. And I could use your help compiling a list. So, what are some of your favorite story villains?

*Keep in mind this is for a middle grade story, so even though I agree Hanibal Lecter is probably one of the best villains ever, he won't really work for this cast call.

(Anthony Hopkins did a fabulously creepy job, didn't he? *shudder*)

4 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hmm...I don't know...
Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty was pretty scary.
I also thought Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights was kind of evil, too.

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm with Jennifer, Maleficent was awesome! As for other middle grades, I think that Madam Mimm from Sword in the Stone is both quirky and bad. I even like the Horned King from The Black Cauldron.

Kimberly said...

I kind of go for the James Bond style villains. The take over the world while flying around in a blimp and/or stroking a fluffy white cat types.

For a villain to be truly terrifying though I need to understand why they're doing what they're doing. Most villains don't really give a reason, per se. It's all about craving power or being bad just because that's how they are, you know? The ones with a reason, they're the ones that terrify me because they're more real somhow.

Shauna said...

Ursula. Evil and sarcastic.

I always thought the bad guys on shows like Candleshoe and Race to Witch Mountain were very bad. They didn't do creepy things that gave me nightmares but- they were supposed to be helping the kids and instead they were using them. They lied! Gasp! An adult lying to a child was always villian material for sure.