Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Work in Progress Wednesday and a Funeral


You read it right. It's WIP Wednesday and a funeral. I would like to invite you, my dear blog readers, to join me at the funeral of my beloved prologue.

*Sniff*

My prologue and I first met one fateful day while I drove to the grocery store. Some people believe in love at first sight. I'm not sure about that, but I do believe in ideas in an instant. And this prologue was one of those rare, beautiful ideas that popped into my head almost complete. It didn't care that I was in my sweats with no makeup. It was just that kind of idea. I am so grateful that I pulled over and hastily scribbled it out on the back of my child's homework assignment (and really, my 11 year-old was such a trooper).

We had a good relationship, my prologue and I. It waited patiently for almost two years while I shoved it aside to work on another story. It sat there, not minding that I didn't have actual character names and so used the most boring names possible: "Bob" and "George." Then one day I was ready to make it shine. I revised it, trimmed a little here and fleshed out a little there. My lovely little prologue took it's rightful place of honor as scene #1 of my WIP.

But, as I was moving along and writing my rough draft the nagging thought kept nagging me (annoying how they do that) that maybe I shouldn't use the prologue. That maybe it gave away too much at once, thereby depriving the reader of the joy of discovery. That maybe it wasn't really needed at all. This last week I gave it some deep thought, and reached the conclusion that it's time to bury my prologue.

A moment of silence, please...

Adieu, lovely little prologue.

(Although I might resurrect it for a future blog if you're curious.)

Here's a good post about prologues from author J. Scott Savage. I read this after I had already decided to bury my prologue, but he explains a lot of things clearly and succinctly. And after reading his post I've concluded that I probably still will never eat Creamed Onions. *shudder*

4 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

There, there. Your prologue is in a better place now.

But yeah, it seems like the consensus among agents is to nix a prologue. Oh well.

ElanaJ said...

Ah, sad day. I've done it too, though, so you won't die. :)

Kimberly said...

The death of your prologue is making my prologue very, very nervous...

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm a prologue lover so I understand.