Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WIP Wednesday x 2?

Lookie! Lookie! Over on the side -------->
We have movement on the word count meter progressy thingey!

*applause*

Maybe I'm the only one applauding, but sometimes you have to be the one to pat yourself on the back, right?

The rough drafting isn't going at the speed of light like I'd hoped (unrealistically, perhaps), but it is going. I've got some holes that will need some serious author-shoveling to fill, but that's okay, too. I follow several authors on Twitter and while many times their Tweets fall under the interesting-but-forget-in-ten-minutes category, there was one that struck me a couple months ago. It was an author that was working hard on a rough draft to meet a deadline. And one day she Tweeted something like: "Finally finished! 54K words with some holes I still need to fill. Will be 70K when I turn in to editor." (not verbatim)

What I got out of that was that even though she had some big holes in her story (16,000 words worth of holes), she skipped them and kept going. Just so she could get the rough draft out.

So that's what I'm doing. I've already jumped over a couple holes and am still writing along. My internal editor *hates* this, but she is bound, gagged, and shoved in the furnace room of my head.

On another note, I had another book idea yesterday, and it won't leave me alone. So just to keep it from interfering I'm going to give it some brain-time, too. It's a humorous, light-hearted story that my boys would love. Now I have TWO word count meter progressy thingies to taunt me motivate me. We'll see if I can work on two WIP's at a time. *chewing fingernails*

And just because I didn't have any profound writerly things to share today, here's a link to Nathan Bransford's blog about Show Don't Tell. Good stuff.

5 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yay! My meter is moving to the right, too! Slowly but still, it's moving. :)

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Whoo that is great progress! I like the Twitter quote too - it is always interesting to hear how other writers work.

L.T. Elliot said...

Congratulations, Jaime! I'm so very excited for you!!

Patti said...

On my current project I wrote "Chapter Seven - Write fight scene here" and moved onto Chapter eight.

Deborah said...

Ooo. I like that last one. I'm totally going to steal it.