Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Stop the Presses!


Or should I say, "Freeze those Fingers!" I found something yesterday that made my WIP fingers freeze. But in a good way. Not in a wallowing-in-the-depths-of-writers-block-or-the-sagging-middle-despair.

They froze in a holy-cow-this-is-awesome-stuff-and-I'm-going-to-stop-everything-to-read-it-print-it-out-and-highlight-and-take-notes-all-over-it way. I ignored my kids for a good hour as they ran amok (and the paint all over the front porch will attest that they did, indeed, run amok) to read and print it. The fact that I was so freaking excited also proves that I'm a writer at heart. I'm hoping that some of you will get excited, because my hubby just got this glazed look and occasionally mumbled, "That's nice" when I waxed eloquent about my find.

"Alright already, Jaime! What did you find?" you ask. Well, only a blog series so awesome it's BEAWESOME!


And I'm going to tell you all about it and even link to it. In a minute. After I...

Just kidding. Here it is. Author Larry Brooks breaks down story structure in a super clear, super easy-to-follow 10 part tutorial on the fundamentals of story structure over on Storyfix. (First of all a big thanks to Kait Nolan for linking to it on her blog.)

*I just read my last paragraph and realized that it sounds dull and boring and not Beawesome at all. Let's rephrase:

Imagine a website that gives writers a valuable look into the architecture of a story so that you can know what to write and where to put it! A site that helps you understand the basic framework of stories that sel,l and how to arrange your stories to really satisfy readers! And imagine it explained in a clear, non-threatening way, both for those who like to outline, and those who don't like it so much! Well, you don't have to imagine any more! Check out this 10 part tutorial on story structure over on Storyfix!!

*Is that better?

The link above will take you to the introduction of the tutorial, but for some reason I had a hard time finding Part 1, so I'm linking to it directly for you. See how much I love my readers? <3

I've read books on plot structure and taken classes and just had a gut feeling to go by, but for some reason this way of presenting it resonated with me. So, for WIP Wednesday I'm shuffling, fixing, and making the structure of my story better so that I can keep moving. Yippee!

3 comments:

ElanaJ said...

Clicking...printing... Thanks!

Shauna said...

Hooray! This is me sending you kisses xxx. I was just needing to do this today to fix my draft and wasn't quite sure how to begin.

I still lurk here everyday. I really should stop that because I feel like I'm getting to know you and one day I'll see you and say something like "hey Jamie how are you? Ha ha ha, remember that time when you..." And you'll respond with "Please take two steps back, four actually. This isn't Europe."

Your Enneagram stuff was really helpful, also the plotting in an hour. I really do appreciate all the non-writing things that actually, are very helpful.

Go back and print his (Larry's) post from today. I reformatted it to inc. just the questions and so it would all fit on one page. Your nerdism is rubbing off.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Ooohhh, excelllent link. Thanks!