Friday, August 28, 2009

Quotables

As I was doing a little organizing this week I found an old notebook where I had started writing down good lines from books. Unfortunately that was many months and books ago, so I've read a lot since then. Here are some of the lines I wrote down, as well as a few I looked up online to help flesh out this post. ;) But I've read the books these are from (except for Pride and Prejudice Zombies which I keep forgetting to get from a friend).

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like. - Lemony Snicket

I had washed up there on the riptide of my husband's confidence and the undertow of my children's needs. - Barbara Kingsolver

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - J.R. Tolkien

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas Adams

Every hair on my neck stood up and then wilted. - Obert Skye

Sometimes lies are more dependable than the truth. - Orson Scott Card

Just because you have a mind like a hammer doesn't mean you should treat everyone else like a nail - Terry Pratchett

You dont love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not. - Jodi Picoult

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains. - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I met an old lady once, almost a hundred years old, and she told me, "There are only two questions that human beings have ever fought over, all through history. How much do you love me, and Who's in charge?" - Elizabeth Gilbert

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams **Hey, I didn't say it.**

I thought I had a great idea today, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hangar. - Calvin and Hobbes **I hear you, Calvin!**

Do you have any favorite book quotables?

5 comments:

ElanaJ said...

Oooh, these are all nice. I do, but I don't have them memorized. I'll have to look them up when I get home.

Anna C. Morrison said...

You had me at Douglas Adams!

Cathy Witbeck said...

I just finished The Graveyard Book. It was awesome. I loved "It takes a graveyard to raise a child." It also has awesome epitaphs on each of the headstones. For example - Deeply regretted by all who knew him. How many ways can you interpret that one.

Jenn Johansson said...

Great quotes! I'm not at home and I can't think off the top of my head of a specific quote, but I love these! Thanks for sharing.

L.T. Elliot said...

Love the quotes and I'd have to read through some to tell you what mine are. =]