Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WIP Wednesday




I'm happy to report that, yes, we have movement on my WIP. Granted, my story is actually just creaking forward along the shoulder of the literature road, choking on the dust of passing authors, but it's movement!


I've brainstormed, tweaked, and figured out new twists and turns to the story and I'm excited again. I've tied up the internal editor and tossed her in the furnace room to keep my possessed hot water heater company, and we're moving!

Deep thought for this WIP Wednesday: sometimes you just have to persevere once the honeymoon of your new story is over.

Keep going when you are no longer in starry-eyed twitterpation with your story (work with me on the pic, all right?) and you begin to notice and get annoyed at the globs of toothpaste on the sink, or the stinky socks flung willy-nilly on the floor, or the dirty dishwater left in the sink. There are multiple times when the blush wears off, where it feels like *work* rather than the glorious outpouring of creativity you envisioned.

You know what? This happens to everyone and with every story. And usually more than once in each story/book. That's why persistence and perseverance is a valuable writing trait. (You can call it whatever you want, but I thought persistence sounded better than bull-headed stubbornness.)

And I'm more bull-headed than this story, that's for sure. The starry-eyed Jaime is gone but the story. Will. Move. On!

8 comments:

L.T. Elliot said...

I really needed this post today. I've got to get my stubborn on! Way to go, Jaime! You show that story!

Jennifer Shirk said...

So true! It helps that I'm stubborn too. :)

That turtle car cracked me up. That is so me. LOL!

Jody Hedlund said...

Awesome post! I just love the way you compared the beginning of our book writing to a honeymoon! Because it's so true, that once we get into our WIPS, the newness wears off and we have to force ourselves to LOVE that baby! And that kind of love takes work!

Chantele said...

Yay! Congrats on your WIP! I needed this post as well. Your turtle car is pretty awesome!:)

Kimberly said...

I love how you described this because it's exactly how it is. The twitterpation wears of and bam, the quicksand of self-doubt sucks us in. You rock for pushing through this, and even more so for inspiring the rest of us to do the same!

Noble M Standing said...

This is just what I needed to see as I am busy in edits and writing new chapters.

Glad to see your moving forward because I for one want to see this story in print. I'm oficially intrugued.

Michelle

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Congrats on moving forward with the writing again! And yes, you are so right about needing perseverance to keep on writing once that first burst of love for the story dies down.

Kristi Stevens said...

I totally got the starry eyed puppy pic. :)