Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Peek Into the Beach Bag

Of course, the title of this post would be so much better if I actually lived within 300 miles of a beach, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a beach read, right? So lets talk about some of the books that would have been in my beach bag the last little while, if I had a beach and a bag to take with me there.

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

This isn't exactly a sequel to Wicked Lovely, as it deals with secondary characters, but you would have to read Wicked Lovely to understand it. I liked this book but it was very dark. Not too surprising since it deals with the Faerie Dark Court.

Recommend.



Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

This is the sequel to Wicked Lovely, but you should read Ink Exchange before this one. We're back to the original main characters, but enter a new cast. Melissa does great characterization. I really enjoyed this book but was surprised by the ending. I thought this was the last one so the ending which clearly leads to another book totally surprised me.

Recommend.


Fragment by Warren Fahy

I tend to read in phases. For example, I'll get in a mystery mood and read a bunch of them. Lately I've been in a YA/MG mood, but I do try to venture into grown up fiction once in a while.

I tried this book because the premise sounded interesting (Jurassic Park-ish) and because someone gave me a copy. I wish I could have finished it, but there was a lot of swearing. We're talking the big, if-you-use-this-in-a-movie-it's-gonna-be-rated-R swear words. And one sentence that was strictly the one word repeated five or six times with the last one draaaawnnn out like that for emphasis. Of course, the character did have his thumb sliced in half by a deadly insect-like thinger, but still.

If any of you finish this book, let me know what you think.

And back to YA:

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

I know, another faerie book, but the faeries are very otherworldly and not at all nice in this book. Loved it!

Recommend.




Gone by Michael Grant

If any book is going to get teenage boys to read, then this is the one. Packed full of action, suspense, plot twists, and fighting. Grant doesn't bother too much with such things like deep characterization that might bog the story down, but I didn't mind. And neither did my son who devoured this hefty-sized book in a couple days. I've got to give it to the author for not being a wuss in the what-if department.

Recommend.


Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey

I'm not sure if I liked this book or not. First of all, it was two different stories that alternated back and forth. And one story was written in third person (female POV), while the other was written in first person (male POV) - which you wouldn't think would work but it did. If nothing else the writing kept me intrigued. This book was definitely the first part of a series. At the end it felt like the author had just chopped the story at the point where it would make a good book length. There was no wrapping up of any of the story threads, so there wasn't a sense of resolution at all.

With all that being said I will probably read the second book, but if there isn't any resolution in that book I don't know that I'd give a third book a chance.

50/50 Recommend


The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum

If you're a Twilight fan then you'll probably really like this book. It's a paranormal romance with the same feel, only maybe not quite as goopey. And it has quite a bit of Shakespeare in it, too. I enjoyed the book, but was a little disappointed when I found out exactly who and what the main love interest was. But I have to give the author points on it being unexpected. And to be honest if he had turned out to be a vampire I might have rolled my eyes and groaned.

**Spoiler: Dante is not a vampire (Sorry, probably should have given a spoiler alert.)

Recommend

There's a brief peek into my beach bag. That's not all the books I've read this summer, but is a good chunk of them. Any good reads in your beach bag this summer?

8 comments:

Pink Ink said...

I have "Gone" but haven't read it yet. What ever am I waiting for?

I have Angela's Ashes to read and... uh-oh.I need to get me some more books from the library.

Noble M Standing said...

I loved "Wicked Lovely" and liked "Ink Exchange" I agree that Ink was dark, but I LOVED the character Niall, he's a definate favorite. I love her subtle description where you know what someone looks like but it wasnt a long drawn out description.
I have "Hourglass Door" and its next on my list to read and I am definately going to have to read "Skin Hunger" and "Fragile Eternity". Thanks for the list.

L.T. Elliot said...

You did a great job of succint, easy reviews. I appreciate that kidn of honesty because sometimes one can get bogged down in finding out exactly what a reviewer is talking about. =]

ElanaJ said...

Oooh, I've had SKIN HUNGER on my list for years. Seriously, years. Where did you get it? The PG library doesn't have it. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy it.

And I read WICKED LOVELY, and tried INK EXCHANGE and just couldn't get into it. I guess I better give it another try.

Kimberly said...

Oh my...my To Read list just grew exponentially...

Deborah said...

I liked Skin Hunger, but got the feeling the end was the publisher's idea. You know... "This book is too long for today's market. Let's turn it into two books and sell it that way." David Farland wrote in his online newsletter it happened to one of his books.

Jaime Theler said...

Deborah - that makes sense.

Chantele said...

I LOVE The Hourglass Door!:) I have most of those books on my goodreads list. Wings was a good book, by Aprilynne Pike. I also enjoyed Just One Wish and My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison. I love YA novels, so that is mostly what I read.:)