Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The "E" word

Are you ready for this? Maybe you should sit down. Oh, you are already? Good. Because I'm going to mention the "E" word. And many writers run screaming for cover at the mention of this word.

*deep breath*

EDITING


A lot of writers *hate* revising and editing. I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes that part. Much more than the rough drafting, holy cow this is unmitigated crap, part.

And here's a fantastic blog post on it, called The Top 10 Things I Know About Editing from Alexandra Sokoloff. Really, really good. It not only covers editing but has a great quick-list for the Three-Act Story Structure. And I'm now adding genre passes to my editing plans.

7 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm a weirdo too. LOL! I like the revising part.
It's the initial getting the words on the page that's hard for me.

Don said...

I'm with you. Although I'm having fun drafting my new story, I've had to banish my internal editor to an underground bunker, and I don't dare read what I've written yet.

Taking a draft that's just short of decent and turning it into something I can proudly share is a much more rewarding experience.

Looking forward to reading the link.

Chantele said...

I'm like you. I love editing. It makes everything come together so well. I guess we are both weird!:)

L.T. Elliot said...

Dude...I'm one of those running and screaming in terror. I love the initial stage--a clean slate and no words to have to mess up.

Off to read the link!

ElanaJ said...

Editing is just not as much fun as the actual writing phase. I'll check out the link. :0

Kimberly said...

I fall into the weirdo category as well. I love to the greater depth and coherency that come with editing a rough draft. Strangely enough, there's less self-doubt in that for me than in the drafting process.

Thanks for the link!

Jenn Wilks said...

I guess you're not so weird after all, Jaime! I've discovered recently one reason I have such a hard time finishing a first draft. It's because I can't stand how crappy it is! I spend a lot of time going back and editing what I've already written because that is so much better! I love watching the crap turn into, well, if not a masterpiece, at least a little less crappy! :o)