Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Work in Progress Wednesday #5

And it's actually on Wednesday this week, too. Yea!

I am thrilled to report... PROGRESS! (Take a peek over on the side. My word meter is up from 0%. Yippee!)

I started on the rough draft of Going Under/Mind Benders (I still can't decide on the title) this week and so far I've managed to meet my writing goal for the last 2 days. Three pages a day may not sound like much, but when I have my kids plus a few of the neighbors at my house all day long, 3 pages is realistic.

I probably have to pause soon and do some free writing to really get a feel for the voice of this story. Author Dan Wells talked about why he does this on his blog the other day. (He also said he'd save me a "I'm Not a Serial Killer" button. So I'm holding him to it. I want my button!)

In other thoughts, I am generally a pretty linear person (I like spreadsheets, I balance the checkbook every few days, I categorize my spending regularly for budgeting - you know, all that boring OCD type stuff), but I'm not sure if this book is going to go linearly. It's got a mind of it's own and the scene I'll be writing today is definitely not the next one in line, but it's the one clamoring to be written. I've already discovered that this story has an attitude, and I don't want to make it sulk again by arm wrestling it to do what I want it to.

I had a lot of fun researching SWAT this last week. And if any of you actually know someone on a SWAT team that would be willing to answer a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. :)

I've noticed as I peek at other writers participating in the WIP Wednesdays that they are working on more than one project at a time. I'm not sure if I can do that.

How about you guys? Can you do more than one book at a time?

6 comments:

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Sounds like you are making great progress - congrats!

And I am definitely a one book at a time type of girl. Even know when I want to start thinking ahead to my next book, I just can't - all of my focus is on my finishing my current WIP.

Don said...

There are usually more than one bouncing around in my mind, but actually working on more than one would cause physical pain, I believe. It's taken me almost two weeks to shift my muse away from the recently submitted work.

ElanaJ said...

Good job on making it about 0%! I can write one thing while editing another. Does that count?

L.T. Elliot said...

I ususally have more than one project in progess while I'm working but I don't work on them at the same time. It helps for when I feel stuck on something to step back and work on something different.

Congrats on your progess! I'm proud of you!

Chantele said...

I am working on two right now, but one more than the other. It depends on what mood I am in. One of the books has more emotion in it than the other, and I have to be in the right mood to work on it. If that makes sense at all...:)
Congrats on your progress by the way!

Graham Chops said...

Yes, but only because I outline. I'm finishing the second draft of one book and assembling a submission package for another book. I don't necessarily crank out words in both at the same time, but I'll outline one while writing another. Does that make sense?