Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Onions and Work in Progress Wednesday

It's Wednesday. That means I have to report on my progress.

Hmmm. *thinking deeply* Progress. What is progress?


According to Dictionary.com (which I love so very much) the word progress means:

1. a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage

2. advancement in general

3. growth or development; continuous improvement

4. the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

And you know what? There are many aspects in my life where I am advancing, growing, developing, and improving. Life is more than just writing, and we have to embrace all the growth and progress we have as individuals.

As a person I am a work in progress. I am more than a word count, or a publishing contract, or an author represented by an agent!

I am an onion! Just like Shrek! With lots of layers. And I'm progressing on many layers! Life itself is a work in progress!



So I will scream it to the heavens! "HECK YES I HAVE PROGRESS TO REPORT! I. AM. A. WORK. IN. PROGRESS!!!!"

*impassioned panting*

I am improving on not getting so impatient with my children and on breaking the habit of armchair parenting (which doesn't work anyway). In the last week I am actually getting up from the computer chair and physically addressing and intervening in the latest drama/crisis.

I can run miles *up* a freaking mountain and not stop or feel like I'm going to die, which means that I have made significant progress for my 187 mile relay race across the back mountains of the Wasatch this Friday.

I am teaching my children to clean and cook, and I dare you to say that isn't work.

I'm drinking enough water. (You know that you'd be a lot more healthy if you drank more water, too.)

I have actually been able to get to some chapters of friends from one of my critique groups.

My hot water heater finally decided to work with me so I could have a lukewarm shower before running all over town, which was really good considering my early morning run. I improved and progressed from stinky to not stinky. (The whole onion analogy was very apropos on more than one level today.)

I slept pretty good last night.

And, I think that's all I have to report.


What? What about writing? I thought I just explained that my progression isn't all about the nifty status thingey in the sidebar.

Oh...fine. *lookingover to the side and shuffling my feet*

I'm not as far in the rough draft as I hoped because my goal of 3 pages a day is depressingly realistic. Deep down I thought I was aiming low and that I could do more than that. Not so much.

Join me in celebrating your life in progress. What progress are you going to shout to the heavens today?

7 comments:

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

LOL, I love this post, and I agree sometimes we need to celebrate our non-writing related progress.

Also, I think it is easy when we make writing goals and then don't reach them to beat ourselves up, but any progress towards yours goals is good, even if it's maybe not as much as you wanted.

Don said...

I'm making progress at work - resolving an issue that's dogged me all week. You see, there's this printer that has a built-in knife so it can cut the jobs after they are printed - pretty cool, actually. And it's finally working.

Writing progress is going to have to wait until next week when I no longer have to commute on I-15, and my evenings are no longer filled with family and friends and I can slip back into routine.

L.T. Elliot said...

My goal for today is to get caught up on the blogs I've missed for the last week and then not feel guilty for it anymore.
Hooray!

Lori-ann said...

My work in progress was getting 3 music sites finished for promotion AND I took the kids to 3 different stores today. *Drop over in a dead faint. That's enough to bring any mother to her knees or running under the bed to the deepest, darkest corner.*

So THAT is my work in progress!

Oh - I talked to my Pump Instructor today and she's running that crazy race too. This will be her 5th year. She thinks it's going to be a bit muddy this year because of all the moisture and some of the race isn't paved... Oh, you're going to have FUN! Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Michelle said...

I edited and polished three chapters and sent it to Kirk Shaw of Covenant, and I polished my large MS and sent it to Valor. I also wrote a sumary of my romance, a synopsis, query, author bio, and marketing plan for my spec fic.

I got my DD through her pagent and cleaned my bedroom! whoohoo!

Kristi Stevens said...

Three pages a day sounds like progress to me. :)

Hopefully, I'll see you this weekend. If not let me know how it went.

Kimberly said...

Oh how I needed the laughs and nods of commiseration this post inspired! Thanks!