Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Work In Progress Wednesday #2


It's my second week of WIP Wednesday, and hopefully I'll do a better job of making goals. Last week I finished my goal by the end of the day.

It's time to get cracking on my newest story. You know, the one that wouldn't leave me alone while I was writing the last story, but has since run away to hide somewhere in my mind? It's called Going Under. Think a mixture of X-Men and the movie "Push" with a Dean Koontz flair and hint of Twilight romance (without the over-the-top goopiness). We'll see what it turns out to be once my story takes over.

But first we had to get back on speaking terms. Well, I hunted it down yesterday and we spent a good chunk of time getting reacquainted over ice-water and trail mix.

"Why hello there, Going Under," I ventured. "Remember me?"

"Vaguely," Going Under said, looking off in the distance at something obviously way more interesting.

"Listen, I'm sorry I neglected you, but I had to finish Bryan's story and get it off to agents. Surely you understand?"

"Whatever." Going Under checked her nails.

"I'm ready to give you all my attention. So you can keep me up at night again and I won't tell you to be quiet."

"I've heard that before."

"I mean it! I am 100% devoted to you. Well, 100% of the spare time I have to devote to writing, which will be drastically reduced in a couple weeks when school's out. But whatever time I have, it's yours."

I offered Going Under some trail mix. Sniffing in haughtiness, she picked out some M&M's and ate them.

"And remember all that great stuff we did during that Sketch a Novel in an hour exercise?" I asked.

Going Under looked directly at me for the first time. "We did come up with some good conflict and characterization," she says grudgingly.

"I even found a name for the one character that's the head of that special forces group," I mentioned as a sign of my sincerity. "Maximillian."

"I like Maximillian. But I'm not so sure about the title Going Under," she said.

"What?" I asked in shock. "But it's always been Going Under! Since that first day when you popped into my mind during a song."

"That's so last year," she replied. "I think we need to go with something more compelling. Something more 'with it.' Like Mind Benders."

"Mind Benders... hmmm. I kinda like it."

"I knew you would," she said with a smug expression.

"Now wait a minute," I protested. "I'll have to think about it. We'll see what feels good after we really get going."

She rolled her eyes. "Fine." She snagged some more M&M's. At least we were talking again.


And that's kind of how it went. So my goal is to get a lot done on characters and plot in the next week so I can get started on the rough draft. I'm not sure I'll get all that finished by next Wednesday, but I hope to get through enough that I can work on some scenes. I installed a word count meter on the side that is right now at 0 words written. I have to get something going so I can start inching it across the little bar. (Hey! Whatever works to motivate you.)

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

That? Was hilarious.

I like the new title too.

LexiconLuvr said...

That's amazing how similarly I speak with one of my characteres. He can be a bit of a jerkwad but once the drugs kick in, he's very amenable to me sneaking around inside his head. (I hope you know I'm kidding about the drugs. I just hit him over the head.) =]

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Oooh, your WIP sounds intriguing - especially the part with a little bit of X-Men and a little bit of romance thrown in. Definitely sounds like my kind of reading.

Great conversation with it too- sounds like you two worked a lot out;)

Taffy said...

Funnnnyyy! Good dialog! I just wrote about a similar problem (wish it was having to get a story to an agent) on my blog. Thanks for the chuckle!

Jenn Wilks said...

I've been trying to get Stolen Dreams to speak to me again for a while now. Maybe the drugs aren't a bad idea? ;-) Or maybe I just need to keep my promises to her and she'll come around. She really is reasonable, I think. :o)

Cathy Witbeck said...

Sounds like a great book to me. Dean Koontz better move over.

Deborah said...

I've read the first chapter run through a year ago. It promises to be really good, in that scary spine tingly way.

Carolyn V. said...

Those stinkin' good stories, why do they have to be so nagging? j/k

I'm really excited for your new story! It sounds awesome! =)