Friday, May 1, 2009

About the Agent Hunt

I realize it's been a while since I posted anything about "The Agent Hunt." First off, I am still on the hunt for an agent. And I live in a house where boys outnumber the girls, and they like statistics, so I keep updated stats in the sidebar. I'm not sure how kosher it is to list specific agents, but I'm not angry at any of them, so I'm going to do it. I would recommend writers to query any of them because I have had very positive experiences, with professional and courteous interactions.

Here's the latest:

I have submitted to a whole bunch of different agents, and received a whole bunch of rejections, which I will print out and keep in a file, so when I'm dripping with fame and money I can give a speech on how not to let rejections get to you. I have also had two agents request a partial manuscript - meaning the query was interesting enough that they wanted to see more. The first agent (Catherine Drayton of Inkwell Management) replied that the story wasn't for her. The second agent, Joanna Stampfel Volpe of Nancy Coffey Literary, also passed on the book, but she explained why she was passing. She liked the story, she liked my main character, she liked the voice, and she liked the writing. What she didn't like were some POV shifts. And she hoped that I'd revise.

Now Joanna is on the top of my super-nice and super-helpful list. I had a question about her suggestions and emailed her back to ask for a clarification. Not only did she reply, but she did so in less than 24 hours. And after I got going on her suggestions I realized she was spot-on. I will be sending it back to her shortly. So consider this an official internet "You're way cool!" shout out to Joanna.

In other hunt news, Lindsay Davis of Writer's House requested the full manuscript, as did Becca Stumpf of Prospect Agency. So I guess my writing doesn't totally stink after all. Either that or the universe eventually rewards bull-headed tenacity. :)

The moral of the story: Don't give up after the first 35 rejections!

6 comments:

Kristi Stevens said...

Keep it up. You inspire me.

Heather Justesen said...

Wow, good luck on the hunt, Jaime. it was so great meeting you at the conference!

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Also, I love the moral of your story - and you are right too - never give up, even after 35 rejections (or more)!

Jenn said...

You are way cool, Jaime. Please tell me what POV is? I know I show my ignorance. I'm willing to learn.

Jaime Theler said...

POV stands for Point of View in nerdy author-speak. Basically who's head you see the scene from. I'll try and not get too nerdy author. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

Congratulations! Joanna is absolutely stellar and really knows her stuff. If she saw potential in your work, you're definitely on the right track.

Good luck with revisions!