Sunday, March 29, 2009

A letter I had to write


To the person I cut off in traffic last week,

Please accept my most heartfelt apologies. I am deeply sorry that I pulled out right in front of you. I realize that the sheepish look I gave you as I mouthed "I'm sorry" when you blew past me in the other lane cannot, in the slightest, amend for the terrible wrong I committed--as evidenced by the dirty look you sent me. (And really, I could only hope to one day be able to give looks that almost reduce others to tears. It's a gift that I'm afraid I don't have. You are so lucky.)

I want to humbly point out that my gross vehicular infraction was an honest mistake. Yes, I know I was talking on my cell phone at the time--a sin of which I have repented for many a car ride. But it was a conversations that required a certain amount of attention, and my children were fighting at great volume in the backseat. As you can see, my failure to check adequately for cars exceeding the speed limit did have some basis. I only hope that you can understand and cut me some slack for making you apply your brakes and switch lanes to pass me. (The *nerve* of me, I know. I probably made you 5 seconds late for that important meeting deciding the fate of the universe. Again, I apologize.)

I've often thought it would be nice to have some sort of marquee that would display messages across my back window, such as "I'm really sorry! I didn't mean to do that!" in neon letters. It would have been good for times like this, but I'm not sure I would have liked your reply. So perhaps it was for the best that we were left to communicate with facial expressions and vague hand gestures (I'm sure that wasn't the finger you meant to raise).

Dear person in the other car, I also want to thank you. Our meeting inspired me to dig out the forgotten Blue Tooth from the nest of boxes when I got my new phone, and figure out how to use it. Now that it is all set up, it really is very handy. I'm not sure I would have found the motivation otherwise. So, "Thank you!"

I hope this letter finds you well and in a driving nirvana unimpeded by cretins like me. I admire you so much that I've been working on my dirty looks for our next chance encounter. Until we meet again.

Best regards,

Jaime

3 comments:

Julie Wright said...

i hate driving just because I ought to be writing just such apology letters. :) funny jaime!

Juliette Wade said...

I relate to this driving experience! And the writing mom experience...

I actually wanted to ask you a question about your blog design. Do you know how I can make a stationary sidebar pattern like yours? It's so pretty, and keeps out of the way of the text, too.

I've enjoyed discovering your blog.

Juliette Wade (TalkToYoUniverse)

Jaime Theler said...

Juliette, I wish I had a wonderful, techie answer to your question, but I don't. I used a blog layout from www.thecutestblogontheblock.com. I really like it.