Friday, February 27, 2009

Movies I watch over and over

I felt in the mood to share some more thoughts on movies. So... drum roll... Movies I will stop and watch if they come on TV. (This doesn't include Lord of the Rings, which is a given.)

So, here you go-- in no particular order.

Fifth Element - own it

I *love* this movie. I've seen it so many times I've lost track and when it came on last weekend I abandoned the computer and chapters that needed critiquing to watch it... again.

And the scenes in the space hotel where Chris Tucker spends the whole time screaming like a girl? *CLASSIC*

Random Trivia: Milla Jovovich is not only a model and actress, but she sings, too. I had a recording of her debut album on a cassette tape. It was electronica, Delerium-ish. On Side B of the cassette I had Sir Mix-A-Lot's album with the song "Baby Got Back." It was an interesting tape.




The Mummy
(the first, and best one) - don't own it, but should

Granted, the mummy-guy roaring at people is a tad cheesy, but oh well. I have favorite parts and will start giggling when those will come up.

Probably my favorite:
[after a shipwreck]
Beni: Hey, O'Connell! It looks to me like I've got all the horses!
Rick: Hey, Beni! Looks to me like you're on the wrong side of the river!

*giggle, giggle*



So, I Married and Axe Murderer
- own it

One of the best quotable movies of all time. And the pressure to pick just a couple... argh!

Probably the best character is Charlie's dad, and here are some of his lines:

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

Tony Giardino:
So who's in this Pentavirate?

Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?

Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, BEEEEP [censored for family viewing]!

And the whole insulting his child with the big head -- ROTHFLOL!


While You Were Sleeping - own it

I have this one on VHS and it's about to fall apart. I almost invariably watch this movie when my husband's out of town. And yes, I still cry every time. And still laugh every time. And still love it just as much every time.









Aliens - do not own but will watch it when it's on TV (which it is at least once every year or two)

By far the best and creepiest of the series. And they should have stopped with this one, too. When the slimy government guy locks Sigourney Weaver and the little girl in the room with the alien horseshoe crab looking things... *shudder*

And then when Sigourney faces off the alien queen with the robotic loader on the spaceship...

Yeah, good stuff.






The Wedding Singer
- don't own

Do I really have to explain why I love this movie? Let's see--it has Adam Sandler, it's hilarious, and there are enough 80's references (and great songs) to choke a horse. What's not to love?










Serenity - don't own but maybe will go out and buy it right now.

Holy cow I love this movie. Unfortunately it's never on TV, but if it was I'd watch it every time. The dialogue and characterization are fantastic.

And it wasn't until after I saw the movie that I found out there was a whole TV series called "Firefly." That's a series I'd rent on DVD. Anyone want to let me borrow it?





There are more I could add to the list, but I don't want to make the post too long. What are some movies you'll watch over and over again?

*I have no idea why there are such huge spaces in between pictures. Sorry!*

1 comment:

Matthew Buckley said...

I've got Firefly on DVD. Best Sci-Fi series EVER.

You come up to Logan, I'll lend them to you.