Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Review - My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

Status: Loved the book
Song: "Human Touch" by Under the Influence of Giants

I am thrilled, happy, and ecstatic (is that enough adjectives?) to review the latest book by author Janette Rallison, one of my favorite YA authors (and a fantastic person). I recently went on a trip and spent almost as much time agonizing over which books to pack (stupid 50 lb. limit!) as everything else that went in my suitcase. In my view, a vacation is only a vacation with good books to help complete the escape from the daily grind.

I'm sad to say that My Fair Godmother wasn't one of the books I packed. Although, since I only had an electronic copy and didn't want to drag around my husband's laptop everywhere, isn't totally my fault. I wish it had been one I had a hard copy of, though. My Fair Godmother is exactly the type of book I loved as teenager, mixing humor with unique twists of loved fairy-tales, a la Robin McKinley.

About the story (from Amazon.com): Finding your one true love can be a Grimm experience!

After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy.

This story is absolutely delightful! I laughed multiple times, paused a minute to think when Chrissy shot out some surprisingly profound insights, and parked my kids in front of the TV so they'd quit bothering me so I could keep reading. In fact, part of the reason I was behind last week in catching up after my vacation was because of this book (although I finished it in 2 days, so it didn't interfere too much). I'm not sure what that says about me since I'm just a little over the target audience age...

Not only is My Fair Godmother light and fun, but Rallison cleverly sneaks in some lessons that we all could learn a little better: being grateful for what we already have, not to let little things ruin relationships with family, that sometimes what we think we want is not as good as what we already have, and to always read contracts carefully--especially when dealing with fairies or leprechauns.

I would recommend My Fair Godmother to anyone and everyone in a heartbeat. You can find out more about Janette Rallison on her website and her fantastic blog.

2 comments:

Julie Wright said...

I totally loved this book. Janette is my hero! If i had a wish by a fair or fairy godmother, I would wish she would make me as talented as janette!

Janette Rallison said...

Thanks for the great review. You are obviously brilliant!