Friday, June 20, 2008

I'm not jealous. (Well, maybe a little)

Last week our city library had a night devoted to the bestselling children's fantasy series of Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, complete with a guest appearance by the author. Book #3, Curse of the Shadow Plague, came out in April, and I decided I better buy it before the Fablehaven night, since I was still #19 on the waiting list at the library--figure 4 weeks per checkout, and we were looking at about a year and a half for our turn. That just wasn't going to cut it.


It took my son about a day to read the book and we were set for the big night. We had a good time rubbing shoulders with the hundreds of other people there, feeding the chickens, drinking magic milk, and dodging hags handing out curses. Actually, the kids chased after the hags, since you had to get a "kiss" from a wandering fairy to lift the curse, and the kisses were Hershey's Kisses. The hags ran out of curses.

I made the kids sit facing the setting sun to listen to Brandon Mull talk. (Shush, kids! Mommy's listening!) The whole time my husband squinted at Brandon and murmured that he looked really familiar. Then Brandon mentioned where he grew up. My husband looked over at me with a grin. "That's it!" he said. It was one of the 11 places his family lived while he was growing up, and he actually went to Scout camp with Brandon, although Brandon would have hung out with my husband's younger brother. Which makes Brandon MY AGE. With books on the bestseller list. I only turned a little green with jealousy.

After Brandon talked we stood in line for an hour--well, my husband stood in line for an hour while I followed kids around the park--to get our book signed. By the time we finally got to Brandon's table, I was practically swooning with envy. A long line of people wanting to get their books signed and take pictures with an author! My book signings usually involve people trying not to make eye contact and giving me a wide berth like I have cooties.

So, pthbthbth on Brandon Mull!!

No, really. I'm happy for his success (Mr. New York Times Bestseller... He probably thinks he's all that. "Hello, look at my books that sell an obscene number of copies." And you know what makes me grumpy? Brandon Mull is a genuinely nice guy, and very funny. I can't even feel satisfied being jealous of a jerk. Grrrr)

*Note: I have read the first 2 books of the series but the third book is in my stack of books waiting to be read. The first two were pretty good. I'll let you know what I think of #3 when I get to it.

No comments: