Wednesday, June 25, 2008

And Another Good Read

Today I'm going to recommend another of my favorite books. This one is quite different from the books/series I've talked about so far. It's not light or fun, but it is very, very good. It has one of those great "A-ha!" endings that take everything you thought you knew about what was going on and flipped it around into a whole new light. Kind of, but not quite, like the Sixth Sense ending. But in this book there aren't dead people and the main character isn't a ghost. (So sorry if I spoiled the movie for you, but if you haven't seen Sixth Sense by this point, then please go rent it.)

If you're in the mood for an excellent read that involves your heart, mind, and addresses real issues with fantastic characterization, go pick up My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. It is one of my all-time favorites.

Short synopsis (from the author's website):
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?


My Sister's Keeper has won many awards and great reviews. Jodi Piccoult is a great writer with the talent of getting you inside characters so that you live their life dilemmas and challenges with them. I have read other books of hers, but this one is still by far my favorite. Her most recent book, Change of Heart, is in stores now. (I haven't read it yet.) You can find out more about Jodi Picoult and her books on her website.

2 comments:

Beeswax said...

I read this a few years ago, and the ending REALLY surprised me. Which doesn't often happen. Liked it, though.

Tracy said...

I loved the story, but I absolutely hated the language, the way children were allowed to talk to each other and other adults. Basically I think I missed the presence of the Spirit throughout the story. It saddened me greatly to be reminded that individuals go through life's trials all the time without the help of Heavenly Father.

I bought several copies of this book for our LDS book club and after reading it first, I did not use the books. I felt so strongly about the language and lack of hope in the story that I personally took a loss on the cost of the books.

I could not or would not recommend this book to anyone to read.

(By the way, I've dealt with cancer many times in my life. At the present time and I am being monitored for multiple myeloma and both of my parents died from cancer.)